How can I learn to make my own preamp circuit?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then, of course.....should you wish to take your newly-designed circuit beyond being just a breadboard prototype circuit and you would like to have it become a "real thing" that you can put inside some manner of a microphone housing.....you will also need to learn how to properly design and layout a PCB as well. And.....closely following the learning of that specific skill, you will also need to already have and/or learn at least a modicum of mechanical design expertise so you will be able to build your microphone and put it all together. YAY!!!

BUT, WAIT!!! -- THERE'S MORE!!! ----
Even if you only stay at the breadboarding design-level of your new endeavor, you will also need to learn and/or pickup on how to specify, source and purchase all of your electronic components for your new designs. As an example, like you I am here in the U.S., but for a little project that I am currently working on, some of the capacitor values and types that I need for a circuit were only readily available from a distributor that is located in Greece!!! They will be here around mid-March.

So.....just prepare yourself for a "long road ahead" of continual learning while enjoying the satisfaction of your circuits as you power them up!!! Are we having fun yet???

/

Okay. Have to ask (and am aware that component availability issues are ongoing) what special type/ values of capacitors are you best sourcing from Greece ?

Hello,

I am very new to this space, and currently, I am trying to build my own DIY microphone. Currently, I have little to no "real" experience in electrical engineering, as the most I have learned about is basic resistor, capacitor, inductor circuits from college physics. I could just buy some preamp circuit on the internet, but I want to be able to actually understand the mechanics of what is going on inside of a preamp circuit, and maybe build a prototype on a breadboard or something. However, when I look at a schematic, I am just confused and have no idea where to look at. Can someone point me to some resources which can help me get a better understanding of electrical engineering and preamp circuits overall?

Thanks
Hey welcome! My two cents as a fairly new guy to preamp building, I can tell you, maybe buy a simple preamp circuit off the internet. Then assemble it. Use common parts like 12ax7 tubes for example. Once assembled, it can provide a great hands on test bed for examining what’s actually going on in the circuit. Of course, using caution around power sources, take each step at a time. Learn power supply basics, particularly around grounding schemes, it’s real important to understand. Then using the resources on here, books etc., study it, learn ohms law. While at times it can get frustrating, it will be rewarding. Plus, there’s a lot of folks here willing to help you understand.
PK

Latest posts

Back