bad production run or piece of **** or what?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

installed a soundcraft ghost over the weekend. Wired it all in, etc etc. I have noticed 2 things from the brand new board. One is common on all ghosts I have had to tech. The common thing is that the group output pcb's have cold solder joints and or loose ribbon connections causing the group to either not work or have low output volume. If I tap the boards the outputs sometimes come good and others good bad and it's a back and forth. If I really slam the group with level it can come good again.  This has been on a new ghost fresh out the box as well as a ghost that was purchased new over a year ago. The second thing I have noticed on the brand new one is that it had a burning smell when first powered up. Wonder what was burning in as nothing was faulty other then the previous mentioned problem. so I wonder if this has been just a bad production run or what?

I've done a couple of Ghosts and all of them have had absolutely crap switched jack sockets.
It's a pity because such a little thing lets down what is basically a reasonable desk for the price.

Frank

We had one for a few years. I thought it was good for the price (we paid £1000 used for 32 channels plus meter bridge, and sold it for £1050 three years on).

Pretty much all of our gremlins could be cured by taking out the input modules and resoldering the XLR and jack connections at the circuit board, which had broken / worked loose over time giving intermittent contacts.

I thought having a switched jack for the headphone socket is a daft idea, but that's an easy thing to bypass.

No smoke though! Good luck with that.

dilbert_ratbert-qa.jpg

Yes. Little things like faulty jacks can really wreck what is otherwise a nice sounding inexpensive board/desk. So far out of 20 ghosts, it's been 20 with the same afore mentioned problem but oddly only on the groups...  I won't even get into the cheap faders or how once the bottom plate is removed, the board is super flimsy.

All of ours had patchbays permanently fitted, so there was no strain on the ¼" jack/sockets.

So I can't say that I had much problem with that.

I did have faders wear out, buttons break though unsympathetic use, and so forth...

We've got a couple of old ones in storage, and if I could buy one for home, I probably would. -Once you've got the flipamajig, they're really not bad at all, and they're certainly fairly well featured.

I didn't mind them at all... though the Audients with which they were replaced are certainly very nice!

Keith

no real strain from pulling on the 1/4 sockets. Just bad from the get go. Wired from 1/4 to elco. then elco on the adjacent rack with at least 3 ft of breathing room so nothing really tight.

Back