Hello World! new member, first post!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

resolution

alrighty,

hello to everyone on the forum, i've just signed up and am looking forward to participating in what appears to be a really great community.

in other news, i thought that you guys might be interested to hear that i've just started back in college, at the age of 28!

i'm doing Electronic Engineering and i'm totally psyched!

the course is part-time for two years, at the end of which i get a Higher Certificate. then i can go straight into full-time to turn it into a Degree.

the reason i'm doing this is because i have had to accept that i can't expect to make a long-term career and a good living out of being an audio engineer and running a studio in Ireland. i've been trying for the past few years, i love it to bits, but i've had to accept reality.

of course i won't stop recording, but it's going to have to take a back seat.

anyway, i will probably be asking for advice and expertise from you all over the next few years... maybe even a job eventually!

onward and upward!

to infinity, and beyond!

and all that jazz...

livingnote said:
Yoa cool  ;D

Irish is great. You know Ruiari?

Hey!

Ireland is small but not that small  :)

I know of Richie from his posts as Dubrichie on Gearslutz but I don't know him in real life.  Welcome Richie!  I'm based in Killarney doings lots of mastering mostly. In an alternate life I'd love to have the time to study to be an EE, I tried to do a night course but I was just too busy in the studio.

Thankfully I have been able to make a decent living as a fulltime engineer but I live outside Dublin. I have some pretty big news soon to be announced but maybe we can hook up sometime if you're down Kerry way.

Welcome,
Ruairi

Hey there,

Welcome. This place has taught me more than I could have ever imagined I could learn outside of school.  It seems that we are both in a very similar spot.  I operate a very part time studio out of my home and record local bands and give them more quality than they pay for since no one knows who i am.  I'm working a day job that has nothing whatsoever to do with my passion which is audio, electronics, recording, etc. But they pay for me to go to school, so I am getting ready to start a degree in EE as well. Its lame b/c I already have a BS in audio recording, but this business is about networking, so the degree doesn't do much for me. It makes me underqualified for electrical engineering jobs, overqualified for other jobs, but apparently JUST qualified to be a collections agent for a cell phone company. haha. That job is so against my personality, BUT it pays the bills, AND for my college education. What really sucks is that I have to go BACK for another BS degree since you can't just jump into an MEE. Now I'm gonna be 4 yrs behind, but hopefully one day I'll have a job that i love.

So good luck with your degree and enjoy yourself here!

Richie, don't underestimate what you can achieve at your age, I did a mechanical trade thing for 9 1/2 years and then finally realised my hobby in audio was what I really wanted to do, had to start as a Trainee Tech at 26, but never looked back.

Welcome and never stop learning

Welcome!

I returned to university in my mid twenties to complete my engineering degree as well. I had taken a long break after the first two years of school.
It was a good decision!

Les

Welcome Richie!
It's seems a lot of Irish are going back to University now; I'm due to start a masters in two weeks. Best of luck with the EE course. I'd love to that and a degree in music if I ever had the time.

Rob

Latest posts

Back