RE20 foam source.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebra50

Hi!

Does anyone have a better memory than me?

I recall someone posting, quite recently, with a link to an on line-shop selling replacement foam kits for RE 20 microphones. I followed the link and thought I'd order some later. Now I can't find the thread or the store.

Does anyone remember it? I did use the search button.

Might just be early onset...

Thanks!

Stewart

Thanks.

EV website says contact Bosch in Germany. I don't know what happened to their UK reps, but will give them try.

But I'm as concerned about my memory as finding the part.  ???

Call EV in the states

1-800-553-5992

ask for

78233-windscreen
78232-rear foam
78231-pop filter
78230-acoustic filter

They should ship them for free.

If replacing the foam does not remedy distortions, or loud transient, high spl issues, please contact me regarding repair.

A little off of the original subject but I have an RE20 that needs a new capsule. I tried contacting EV a while ago to try and get a new one, never heard back from them. The voice coil is broken in the capsule and impossible to repair because of the Magnetic Field. Any suggestions?

HI,

my mate re-foamed one with spare insert foam from Beyer Dt100s. They send new foam with replacement inserts(also for DT150), so he had a stack of spare foams. They are NOT cheap to buy separately.

I need to replace the foam in most of my Yamaha dynamic mics. I found that some foam suppliers suggested that I bring in some of the perished foam, and they would be able to match it. - Still havent got round to it yet! THere was one supplier in Kings Cross  who was most helpful on the phone, but I cannot remember a name.

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

My memory says the capsule is $290; same as the refurb job cost of sending it in.  Can't a new mic be had for not much more? 

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've sent messages to Shuttlesound, and EV (US).

I still haven't found the thread or website I saw. Must have dreamed it!

Good point on just getting a new mic. It has been stored for parts for a couple years now. I just saw the thread and thought I would ask around. You never know what may pop up somewhere you know.

Peace

I just wanted to say to those in the UK that Shuttlesound were very helpful and carried all the bits I needed.

EV in the States directed me to another department, and to Bosch in Germany, who didn't reply yet.

FWIW Cost for a new foam kit in the UK is about 23 quid, delivered next day.

I never did find that website again.  ???

EV will NOT send the foam free of charge.
They are under new ownership, and things have changed. Flat-rate repairs are around $200 now, and there is a $25 minimum order on parts. You can still get a friendly, knowledgeable American on the phone there to help you out, however. That probably won't last long, either.

The UK situation seems to be a bit of a mess.

It seems that Shuttlesound, who were the outlet for EV parts in the UK, are no more.

EV directed me to Bosch in Germany, who eventually replied saying that Gear4Music are now the UK outlet.

However, Gear4Music denied this when I asked.

I just called and got a real person.  The part numbers have changed but Patty looked up new numbers and will send out the foam parts tomorrow.  Paid by CC.

I live in the states so I guess its easier.  I have had these microphones for 30 plus years but have not used them in the last 5 because of the foam breakdown.  I'm looking forward to getting them up and running again.

Phone is 800 553 5992  or 402 467 6599. 
Since the new company take over, they have new part numbers. 

I gave them MicDaddys numbers                Pattys numbers from order

78233-windscreen                                      F01U110422    $8.80
78232-rear foam                                        F01U153540    $1.38
78231-pop filter                                        F01U110421    $1.71
78230-acoustic filter                                  F01U115359    $4.43

I wrote those numbers down on paper while making the order from a cellphone.    I think they're correct but you may want to double check.

I have been successfully using wall unit AC filter foam sheets for years in the older Shure mics.  The smaller cell style not the large cell.  Frost King in any hardware store.  Should work just as well in the RE.
Mike

I'll pickup some AC filter foam and try it.  I for some  reason have an array of EV mics I've accumulated over the years.  RE15,16 11,10 637's DS35. 
Thanks solderboy. 

Latest posts

Back