looking for "Recessed Toggle Switch - know any sources?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whoops

GDIY Supporter
Hello Friends,
I've seen in a photo of an old (70s) Helios DI box some recessed toggle switches that would be highly useful for my projects.
I never seen these type of switches for sale in my go to shops, and I can't find something similar in my google searches.

here are the switches in question:

Screen Shot 2023-12-12 at 04.28.21.pngScreen Shot 2023-12-12 at 04.28.32.png

Does anyone know a source for these switches?

Thank you so much

Last edited:
Likely they are standard switches with molded caps set over them. Either the switches are the right length relative to the panel thickness, or they are set back from the edge of the PCB enough to make them slightly recessed.
I have not seen those slotted caps available as a catalog item, might have been custom stamped for that company.

I'm with the crowd and think these are standard switches, mounted recessed, with a "dimple cap" placed over them.

Pretty damn sweet !

You could have your switches pcb mounted, "dimple caps" in the enclosure and your switches will be way less prone to breaking of the pcb, when you drop it, probably nothing would happen.

They look like they've been dropped a lot...

Now I want a "dimple cap" for my active DI pre, brilliant design !

hi, there's a Sunmulon PH-237 "dress guard" for mini toggles and push switches(no affiliation):

https://cobaden.net/?pid=64364168
64364168_o1.jpg

64364168_o2.jpg

64364168_o3.jpg

(catalog link from the Sunmulon site (see page 9 for a diagram: )

https://www.sunmulon.co.jp/sun/d_load/pdf_j/ph.pdf
(can't link to the pics directly for some reason but there are some nice big images of the part here: )

http://www.monta-musen.com/shop/products/detail.php?product_id=2348

Last edited:
Nagra had some switch holder that look exactly the same ?!?
Maybe it's an OEM part long time ago, and a ref can be found at nagra service manual.

Like most of you guys said it could actually be that it's just a bezel and the switches are actually mounted on a sub-panel or soldered to a PCB.
As we didn't see or know a part like that for sale it makes sense to think that and it could be totally possible.

But, this DI boxes are supposedly from the Rolling Stones Mobile Studio and made by Helios (?), the Mobile Studio was built in 68 or 69, at that time and by seeing Helios modules they didn't seem to use switches mounted on PCBs or sub panels, so that idea doesn't seem to be coherent with what they used at the time.
Of course the DI boxes could have been added later to the Mobile Studio, and there's even the chance the DI boxes were not actually produced by Helios, they could have been outsourced or from another brand altogether. But I remember these photos were taken from the "Big Helios Photos thread" and the person that posted said they were made by Helios...

Anyway, if these are actually Toggle switches and not just normal switches mounted on a sub panel that would be amazing,
I have to carry equipment inside trolley cases for Live Shows, and with all the traveling the switches in DI boxes and other equipment I have are always breaking, recessed switches would be great to accommodate them inside the case for travels.
In the studio it doesn't make much difference, in Live sound it makes a lot

Thanks you

Last edited:
Ok,
So I was able to see and understand how they did it on the Nagra, it's much clearer now.
It's a type of recessed bezel, then on the back the switch is inserted into it and there's a set screw on the bezel itself to tighten the normal switch to it.
Quite clever.
Probably the Helios DI uses a similar arrangement

Screen Shot 2023-12-15 at 20.39.29.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-15 at 20.40.19.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-15 at 20.41.05.png

Now it would just be great to find a source of those "bezels" !!!!!!
If anyone knows please let me know

google search is not giving me anything, but maybe I'm not searching the correct terms
Thanks

Probably the Helios design used the same "dimple bezel" with a shorter toggle ?

makes sense yes, it's just a bezel do then you can use any switch with want with a specific lever length

They do take up quite a bit of space.

Perfectly fine for me, I just need to take the boxes in my luggage and not breaking afraid of breaking the switches

Anybody here have a lathe ?

If there's 2 products from different brands that we know of that used this product in the past then it means many others that we don't know used also.
So this exists somewhere, even if it is old stock

You do find mini toggles with a plain bushing ,
That has to be the type used in the Nagra , hence the set screw to fix the position,

Attachments

• eledis-1A.jpg
    eledis-1A.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 0
If these are really The Rolling Stones DI boxes they may have been specially designed and someone might have suggested "I want Nagra switches" on it, and somehow they have managed to get a bunch of switches from Nagra, I don't think Nagra use any "generic" parts in their hardware design.

Just a hunch...

Anybody here have a lathe ?
to me it look like a casting part ?

I don't think Nagra use any "generic" parts in their hardware design.
that's a plausible hypotheses !?!

Whatever this part come from, for sure I get dozens if available, for all racked tool I'll build in the future...
Look so nice and avoid any front panel sandwich build if you don't want to see any hex nuts or hard to find fancy dress nuts.

It would be really cool to have these for DIY projects...
A dimple insert with a large nut on the back to mount it to a panel, with threaded insert to fit generic toggle switches of your choice.
If we can CAD design this and have a Chinese factory make 1000 it could even be doable.

There might be a patent for it at Nagra, they'll sue us ! 😟

Threaded mounting on the switch shaft might be problematic if you need remove the switch at some point in the future , all the wires would end up twisted . Either way if you have several switches mounted on a pcb , threaded wont work , plain shaft and grub screw looks better .

Latest posts

Back