NAMM 2011

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be there all 4 days.
Talking to manufacturers and etc.
Let see if we can organize a GroupDiy meet.

Hi Guys,

I'll be there all week, working with PMC.  You should catch me at their booth.  I'm loathe to make arrangements to meet anyone, tried this at the last two AES and was just too busy to honour the commitments.  Please drop by and say hello though!

Cheers,
Ruairi

I haven't gone in 10 years and only slightly miss connecting with industry people. I don't miss booth duty and all the non-trade people who finagle entrance and waste our time in the booth, while I understand the attraction for people outside the industry. True booth punishment was the consumer days in Frankfurt, but Sundays in Anaheim came close.

JR

Not to mention you almost always go home sick from contact with people from around the world, and the usual self-abuse that is bound to happen when one attends a convention.
Last year was the first in many that I have not been there at a a booth or as a rep, but I WOULD love to go to try to get some deals on microphones...

booths are for the non industry people who outside of being a musician have no real connections or can help in any way shape or form.  You go there and the whole day it's like dueling banjos. the real deals are made outside the convention hall by talking with the right people. If anything it's like going to guitar center on a Saturday during a major holiday when everyone goes.

pucho812 said:
booths are for the non industry people who outside of being a musician have no real connections or can help in any way shape or form.  You go there and the whole day it's like dueling banjos. the real deals are made outside the convention hall by talking with the right people. If anything it's like going to guitar center on a Saturday during a major holiday when everyone goes.
You learn to tune out the background noise, and we had 4 soundproof rooms, one on each corner of our booth. I would probably take my own life if forced to live through multiple setup days near the piano section. Just imagine tens of pianos being tuned at the same time. ???  NAMM is still not as loud as PASIC... thousands of drums being beat at the same time but randomly is a cacophony I can also live without.

Our booth was a two story building bigger than my house. The whole upstairs was small individual offices and a kitchen area, that the tire kickers were not allowed anywhere near. There was a great deal of business cut in those offices, since there wasn't enough hours in the days to do it off the floor. Only the biggest distributors or dealers got face time at night. 

It was also pretty obvious when the tire kickers came into the both trying to score a dealer price list or get some confidential info. I have no problem taking to end users, but in the right time and place, not at the association of music merchants show.

AES show is a different story with tire kickers in the majority and welcomed.

JR

Hi guys,

NAMM was actually pretty good.
I completely forgot to stop by and say hi to Ruairi.  Sorry.

Radial Engineering finally released and is shipping their Workbox 500 series stuff.  Pretty decently priced.  I could prob organize a groupbuy to get some discounts, since I'm a dealer.  They offer a small discount, if I buy more than 8 units combined.
The WorkHorse is prob around $1150 plus shipping for everyone here at the forum.  The modules are actually very well priced.  I can get those as well.

Don't know if it is worth post this as a separate thread.  Just figured some folks here would prob be interested.

http://www.radialeng.com/re-workhorse.htm

Last time I was at NAMM was about 7-8 years ago. First time I went there as a non-exhibitor.
There was a problem with the computer system, a huge queue was forming. Nobody in NAMM organization would want to make the decision of relaxing the formalities. Since I was there for just one day, I just walked out. Later I talked to some people I knew who started queueing at 10a.m. and finally got in the convention hall at 4p.m.
I decided then I'd never go to NAMM anymore, and I haven't. These NAMM officers are just a bunch of incredibly useless individuals.

BR said:
Hi guys,

NAMM was actually pretty good.
I completely forgot to stop by and say hi to Ruairi.  Sorry.

Hey Gil.

No worries man.  I was completely tied to the PMC booth for the duration.  We had a great show.  Maybe we can preplan something for AES NYC?

Cheers,
Ruairi

Latest posts

Back