Chinese Capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mista min

Has anybody tried these capsules in their mics?  They are K67 variations made in China.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KCM-35mm-LARGE-DUAL-DIAPHRAGM-CONDENSER-MIC-CAPSULE-CAP-/150367558970?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23029add3a#ht_1745wt_1141

or this one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MICROPHONE-CAPSULE-MIC-DIAPHRAGM-DUAL-CONDENSER-PROJEC-/350260829703?pt=UK_Music_Instruments_Microphones_MJ&hash=item518d2c1e07#ht_1654wt_1137

And what about this CK-12 variation from China?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MICROPHONE-CAPSULE-DUAL-WAY-MULTI-PATTERN-34MM-/350317877644?pt=UK_Music_Instruments_Microphones_MJ&hash=item519092998c#ht_5297wt_1026

Also, where can I get a mount for these capsules??

Just looking for a options in a T.bone mic I am gonna mod.

Thanks,
min

Most t.bone mics are made by Alctron. So what are your experiences with the one you already have and why would you think the capsules you linked to are better?

Halo Rossi.  I have no experience with the capsules I linked too.  Ehrlich, ich hab keine Ahnung ob die besser sind oder nicht.  I just don't feel the microphones sound good at all.  The one I'm looking to replace the capsule on is the T.bone SCT-800, we also have the 2000, but for some reason the 2000 is actually not as spitty and has a smoothness to it.  I will eventually change the circuit to a plate follower by bypassing the cathode follower and maybe swapping out a transformer.  Also, I will change the parts.

Actual, ich werde vielleicht ein micro selbst bauen.  Ich suche jetzt ehrlich nur Information.

So please share some info :)

I'm just trying to read as much of the META and learn more.  Also, the MXL Gold 35 uses a 35 mm chinese capsule and a friend of mine has it and it sounds amazing.  Just curious is all.

Grüß aus München,
min

p.s. Ich kein Deutscher, aber ich wohne in München, viellicht wäre es besser auf englisch zu schreiben so dass wir uns nicht missverstehen.  Aber ich mag deutsch zu schreiben... it's a small addiction of mine :p

Hi,
Instead of K67-type capsules I'd buy this one: http://microphone-parts.com/  
Good luck!

There's info on this board and elsewhere on the web about the Apex 460 - the t.bone circuit is (probably) very similar. What type of tube is in your mic? If it's a 12AX7/ECC83, one easy mod is to put in a 12AT7/ECC81. That tube also a requirement for dropping the source follower stage.

Listen to your mic and ask youself what you want to change. What's wrong with it? Then ask yourself what you can do about it.

Another chinese capsule is not likely to be a significant improvement. So either work with the one you have or get a known good European made capsule such as a Thiersch M7 style capsule (see black market group buy) or Tim Cambell's CK-12 clone.

Your German is excellent, but you'll exclude most members by writing in German. I don't have the time to guide you through this, so better post in English. And read the mic meta threads; there's lots of info already out there.

P.S. There's a German language spinn-off board: http://www.nrgrecording.de/nrg/

Hey Rossi,

I completely agree with you about using a high quality capsule, I know some guys who can hook me up with quality parts, but what I wanted to do is find others opinions and experiences.  Like I wrote in German, I am just looking for information and what others thought.  Iam reading the mic META and I came upon statements concerning the APEX 460.  The T.bone sct-800 is the same mic.  I've already read every mod being done to this mic.  And your right, the chinese capsules don't do it for me.

Still, there are some good ones out there like the ones used in the Manley Gold Reference mics.  And what I wanted to know if this is one of the better chinese capsules.

In the end I'm just looking for information because I know I'm not the only that will benefit from it.

About how they sound... the only word I can find is Sh*t :)

Overly bright, but that's because of all the design flaws in the mic, I think, but Gus or Marek, I don't remember exactly, maybe both said even after modding the mics circuits that the 460 didn't sound good.  They said it sounded better, but not good. 

Also, I will add... I don't know enough to get crazy, but I understand what everybody is saying to a certain extent.  And like I said I just wanna know if others have used them and what they thought about them is all.

Thanks for the complement about my German, I've been here for almost 3 years so it's good that I can get by... my speaking is hopefully better then my writing.

Thanks,
Marcos

"shimmering highs and lush bass"? The problem with chinese capsules IMO is first and foremost the lack of a well-defined midrange. And what's a "lush bass"?

I have never tried those capsules, but I wouldn't spent the money they're asking for chinese-made capsules, since they come with cheap chinese mics costing not a lot more. An excellent capsule can be bought, but they are more expensive.

To gather more information you could also join the micbuilders yahoo group.

$50 dollars for a capsule is not too much... Seriously.  The blue capsules are about $22 if bought direct from China.  According to a thread on gearslutz.... http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/580681-beezneez-microphones-wtf.html

What I've noticed that is wrong with Chinese capsules is not necessarily the lack of midrange content per-say, unless you mean a lack of midrange information, as in capturing less of the details.  And some (the bad ones) have much more aggressive high-end with a real lack of real bass.

As I read more and more of the META, everybody keeps talking about 797 audios capsules and how they are good.  So some Chinese capsules can do the job, but are these any of them?

(I'm already a member of micbuilders... but I don't really get how to post questions there...  :mad:)

I think there's a list of some mics with 797 capsules somewhere here.

Little basic mods helped my friends t.bone sct800 and my similar mic a quite a bit. The mics didn't get any warmer though, just less grainy. Capsule and the head basket design are the biggest limiting factors I guess. Don't know if those ebay capsules are any better. For that price you should try though.

bezen4uk said:
Hi,
Good luck!

I have an Apex 435 with a busted capsule, and I was thinking of dropping one of these in along with some basic circuit upgrades. Would this capsule require any tweaks on the circuit? Or can it just be dropped into the mic.

Insomniaclown said:
bezen4uk said:
Hi,
Good luck!

I have an Apex 435 with a busted capsule, and I was thinking of dropping one of these in along with some basic circuit upgrades. Would this capsule require any tweaks on the circuit? Or can it just be dropped into the mic.

Why would you do that?  There is nothing wrong with a K67 capsule if it's a good sounding one.  ;D

The honest answer is maybe... I've never used one of those and I know nothing about the Apex 435, but if it's anything like the 460 it's usually running too much voltage to the K67 clone.  If it is too much voltage it will make the diaphragm stick to the back plate, not a good thing, but not something that will brake the capsule.

Honestly for that price... I would just go for the Thiersch groupbuy in the blackmarket.
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=43485.0

It is 3 times the price, but that will make almost any mic sing....  ;D ;D ;D

Insomniaclown said:

Hi,
Just drop into the mic.

mista min said:
Why would you do that?  There is nothing wrong with a K67 capsule if it's a good sounding one.  ;D

The honest answer is maybe... I've never used one of those and I know nothing about the Apex 435, but if it's anything like the 460 it's usually running too much voltage to the K67 clone.  If it is too much voltage it will make the diaphragm stick to the back plate, not a good thing, but not something that will brake the capsule.

Honestly for that price... I would just go for the Thiersch groupbuy in the blackmarket.
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=43485.0

It is 3 times the price, but that will make almost any mic sing....  ;D ;D ;D

Why would I do it? For fun! And experimentation. The Apex 435 is a $70 transformerless mic. I am sure a higher end capsule would make a bigger difference, but I think I would want a better mic to begin with if I were going to spend that kind of money. Since this will be my first mic mod, I also don't want to be responsible for trashing a $300 capsule if something happens. I have no iussue with the k67 type capsule, but for the price of this 47 type, I think its worth trying.

bezen4uk- Thanks!

The k47-style capsule may be worth checking out. I did not see the link before, was it edited in?

I can't say anything about its quality, obviously, but since it is designed for a flat amplifier, it is easier to use in a DIY mic or for upgrades than a K67 style capsule which requires a dedicated circuit with a taylored response curve that compensates for the K67-HF-rise.

I'm kind of curious as to these K47 style capsules. I wouldn't mind trying them; I just have too many known good capsules that need a home. ;D

Well, after much thought, I've decided to go for it. If the sound samples on their website are to be believed, I think this capsule is worth it. $89 is a good price, and makes it less of a gamble.

I plan on removing 2 layers of the inner mesh, replacing some caps, and mounting the capsule. When I am done, and if it all works out, I'll post some samples. I'd do some before and after, but as I stated above, the original capsule is broken. The mic works, but soon after I start using it, there is a very low frequency rumble that develops from the mic. Sounds like something flapping.

Anyway, I am looking forward to this experiment!

Insomniaclown

Why do you want to remove two layers of mesh?  Remember microphones like a u47 and others have more than one layer of mesh.

When you remove the finer mesh(s) you can weaken the grill, will most likely need to use a pop filter and the RF and hum rejection might be affected.

Gus said:
Insomniaclown

Why do you want to remove two layers of mesh?  Remember microphones like a u47 and others have more than one layer of mesh.

When you remove the finer mesh(s) you can weaken the grill, will most likely need to use a pop filter and the RF and hum rejection might be affected.

Hi Gus. The simple answer is that I have been reading too much. There seems to be a lot of buzz about using a single layer headbasket, and that removing the inner layers of mesh can improve the sound of the mic. I'll look into this a bit more. I guess the smart thing to do is to try it stock first. Thanks for your post!

Also remember that single layer open mesh baskets do little to protect the capsule from dust and spit.

I have only bad experiences removing the mesh layers. And putting them back is not very easy.

Latest posts

Back