G7 grounding scheme question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marktokach

I am using mogami mic cable which has 6 wires and a shield for my G7 mic rev. 2 pcb.

I believe I'm supposed to wire pin 1 of tube mic cable, which is now not wired to the braided shield of tube mic cable. Is this correct?

I believe I should connect pin 1 and pin 7 inside mic body before tube somewhere( or is it taken care of in the pcb already) and connect to body of mic and screen.
Is the ground to the body taken care of in the 7pin xlr in the mic body or do I need to run a wire to the mic body from somewhere else?

And then there's the hooking ground wire to screen. Not sure where to wire it from.

This is how I have it hooked up so far. Am I missing any grounds to chassis or is that taken care of in the xlr connectors?

7 pin xlr PSU connections
pin 1 Ground from IEC , pcb pin 1, and 3 pin xlr
pin 2 +160 v

pin 3 audio+
pin 4 audio-

pin 5 pattern

pin 6 +6.3
pin 7 0v

Mic cable connector connections
pin 1 not used
pin 2 +160

pin 3 audio +
pin 4 audio -

pin 5 pattern

pin 6 +6.3
pin 7 0V

Mic 7 pin connections
pin 1 ground
pin 2 +160

pin 3 audio+
pin4 audio -

pin 5 pattern

pin 6 +6.3v
pin 7 0v

Not sure what you've decided to do:

I'd suggest starting out with that Emperor TOmato Ketchup diagram, and wiring per the gic_psu.pdf file, except wtih combined B+/Heater grounds and see if that works. FWIW I haven't grounded my PSU board, and hte IEC ground goes to chassis only (this is on a RoyerMod) I'm pretty sure I"m committing at least a misdemeanor by not grounding the PSU ground to chassis. (This was actually an oversight, not intentional) But I don't have any hum.

I think i looked at the grounding scheme for emperor ketchup. Do you have a file for it? It wasn't that clear to me. Thanks for thinking of me. I don't know why but I guess I'm missing some basic skills necessary to understand this or I'm just missing something. Even with all the help so far, which I appreciate , I cannot fully understand how to wire it. I tried and have the whole mic hooked up plugged it in and the tube didn't light up. At least the psu works. anyone ever try using Skype to try and help people? Like hook the red wire over there, lol!

I can send you the file on 12/22, but it should come up in th elink. I think it's in the other thread. (Not at that computer today.) Please pm me. Mmmh. If the tube didn't even light up there must be an open circuit somewhere. I have to admit, there is a good feeling when you power something up for hte first time, and there is not bzzzt and smoke and a tube slowly starts to glow. :)  Test the voltages at the PSU with the mic plugged in and also, then at the power connections on the  mic's pcb and then the tube socket itself, you can do this with the tube out of the socket.  Have the schematic and hte tube basing diagram handy and in view. I'm saying this because I frequently forget to do simple stuff like that and then I'm elbow deep in some high voltage situation, and need to back out turn off, and get a diagram or something, and that just equals wasted time....

Be careful with the probes naturally. I'm not totallhy knowledgeable on this either, my  credential here is a successful (at least in terms of making sound) Royer Modded 2001....

Here's the link:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=36857.0

Latest posts

Back