Dual Pultec EQP1 Inductors - Anyone got any?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlteredMode

Hi, looking to source the inductors used within the Gyraf Audio / Tat Purusha design? About to order all the parts and these are the only parts I am struggling to source. I'm in the UK so if anyone knows where I can source these it would be greatly appreciated. I tried contacting the names listed in the build documents over at DIY Racked forum but no one seems to have these anymore. :(

So taken from the forum over at DIY Racked I need two of the following as it seems to list the parts for 1 channel...

INDUCTORS 1 for each channel:

tap................dc ohms...........Q
1...26mh...........20.6 ...........7 1/2
2...39mh...........25.8............9 1/4
3...78.8mh.........37.9.............13
4...155mh..........55.8.............18
5...312mh..........84.1.............25

This is the forum link to the various parts listed....

http://www.diy-racked.com/diy-talk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=103&sid=1b98ef08193cb022d114492b8758c5f7

As already mentioned above any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

well, those are not the right values for the diy gyraf pultec.  I checked the link you posted, those PCBs are not Purusha's.  They are for "frank's enhanced pultec" based on the manley pultec.  This is sort of important around here... Purusha was expelled from this forum for secretly selling PCBs without the designer's permission.

If you believe in Karma, ask Frank first  (his forum name is nrgrecording or something like that) if purusha has his permission to sell those PCBs before you buy.  Or just buy Igor's kit and get a (higher quality) case from one of the Dans (ddt or dandeurloo) or grand master audio.

Wow had no idea mitsos about that. I'm just having a quick browse around what I think is Igor's website and I only see kits for mono valve based EQ's. Do you know if he does a stereo one?

I hear ya. I was one of the few who thought the forum over-reacted in banning him, but seeing this thread makes me think some people never change..

Anyway, Igor has a 1U mono, 2U dual-mono pultec with neve makeup gain stage (there is also the M/S feature available for the dual).  I forget what he calls it called, but I think he sells through that diy recording equipment site:

http://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/1754/igor-i-j-research-announces-nevepultec-combo/

Just put two together for stereo / dual mono
check the white market there was one or two people  [ io audio ? ]
making inductors for the enhanced pultec [ extra frequencies like the manley ]
there are as well a few different circuits for the tube make up gain  , the manely
being fairly different from the original pultec  [ with it's expensive & hard to get transformer ]
with a little patience  , help & perseverance you'll get there !
those inductor values maybe from the manley ver [ I have the schematic and I'll check ]
you have to match the cap values to the inductor values [ somewhat ]

One thing about tad was not being trustworthy and doing nothing for the good of the grp ,
[ or anyone other than himself ] not to say anyone has to ........
in terms of commerce and being enterprising he has allot of energy , but HE choose to not
even pay for a white market ad , which is part of what started that , so maybe he did some good
even if it was not intended .
Now Mitsos , there's an a example of a good core , fair playing considerate member ,  thankfully
there's more than a few around these days

Anyway there a few pultec options , don't forget the in/ out transformer mojo , I think some have
made them with neve output stages as well , so sort of 3 parts  , passive filters , make up gain amp
and i/o transformers

Thanks for all the pointers. The reason Tat's setup appealed to me was that it all seemed fairly straight forward and easy to get most of the parts, though I had no idea it was in fact someone else's design. Was given the link to his site from someone else who had built that same unit with success a few years ago. I'm not actually doing the build and will be handing it over to my dad to do for me as he is a retired electronics engineer and Tat's had everything listed in the one place which made it particularly good for me sourcing everything. My requirements are a nice sounding stereo valve EQ unit so if there are better alternatives that I can get hold of through this forum or Igor then I'm happy to do so. My dad has an extensive background in electronics and could do the PCB's himself but I'm trying to save him a bit of time by getting PCB kits, rack case etc already made.

thanks for the compliment greg, I'm a bit embarassed, but I think there are quite a few of us here, including yourself.

Altered, if you and your dad can etch PCBs, look for Frank's enhanced pultec version 1.  Do not get the V1.5 or whatever it is that PCBs were made for a year or so ago, it needs a few mods to work properly.  (it even says "untested" on that version's PDF).  It does't offer any extra features over the first one, so I don't think it's worth it unless you already had the PCBs.  But I can verify that the V1 works without modifications. I can't find the PDF atm, I'll look again later if you can't find it.

See attached for your tube stage, courtesy of member Kingston (search for his "spiffy EQ", he actually used those words... it's beautiful).  Should be very easy to do P2P.  In fact, back before PCBs were so widely available, I remember seeing a P2P pultec with the caps all soldered directly to Lorlin switches. Not that I'm saying you should do that.

Attachments

• 6n6p_ecc99-line-stage_kingston.png
    6n6p_ecc99-line-stage_kingston.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 71
ok, found it.  I believe this is the same file I used to etch mine.

Attachments

• EnhancedPultecV1_pcblayout.pdf
    37.8 KB · Views: 75

Latest posts

Back