EQP-1S5 - 500 series recreation of solid state EQP1A

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say you can trust that Mitsos is not getting rich off of this , in fact
he seems to work pretty hard , and has had success so we're lucky
that this is even being offered to others .

But to help you out with the dreaming  [ we all like to dream ]
there should be a " Things i need or want to say , that no one ever needs to hear , because
it's no help to the topic  " thread .

Back to the topic at hand  , Looks great , I'm in for one at least , I'd say a pair but
i should be responsible and also admit I dream too much [ and don't get enough done ] , thanks .

Guys, I think we need to take a step back........

I have had some dealings with Spase & I have to read his stuff twice to get the full meaning of his language. He tries hard, but I'm pretty sure English is not his first language, if you know what I mean.  ;)

On the other hand it can get a bit irritating when someone proscribes what one should be charging for a PCB or project, as he has done with me as well.

Looks like a STONKING project, though.

Peter

Tim, sorry I didn't mean to ignore your last two posts!
TimS said:
So as far as Pultec clones go, is this thing more on the clean side or the colored side?
I'd say more clean than dirty, but YMMV and your definition of clean might be different from mine.
and...
TimS said:
Any new word on these?
Yes and no.  Niels and I have added all the costs and have arrived at the magic number. I won't say what it is YET but it is within the initial range (300-400). Problem is we are not ready to receive payments yet. We are opening up a new paypal account to keep this separate from all other things and make accounting easier, and should be rolling soon!

That said, I want to take another second to thank everyone again for the support (and patience!) with this project.

cheers!

Yes and no.  Niels and I have added all the costs and have arrived at the magic number. I won't say what it is YET but it is within the initial range (300-400). Problem is we are not ready to receive payments yet. We are opening up a new paypal account to keep this separate from all other things and make accounting easier, and should be rolling soon!

Thanks for the update! That sounds really good, though to be honest I was hoping for something a bit more on the colored side since that's one of the main things I use my hardware pieces for. But I assume this thing will work with any of the popular 2520-style discrete opamps that people have been using in the CAPI stuff? If so I could always play around with that for a little tonal variety...

Any rough idea yet how much you'll be charging for prebuilt units?

Oh, and thanks for doing this project and sharing it with everyone. I'm new here, but I've really been impressed with all the great people on this forum. There's an inventive spirit and a willingness to share and help others that (unfortunately) is quite rare on most internet forums. I'm looking forward to learning, and hopefully one day getting to the point where I can contribute something worthwhile as well.

Hi, I'm very new and glad to be here!!!
I started DIY way of life from one year now, mod a few sm57, built some vp26 and VP312DI with great results and grattitude to Jeff Steiger of Classic audio Products of Illinois. :)
I "believe" a lot in the 500 format, heard great stuffs but generally too expensives for what I can actually afford, so, DIY is the key!
I'm really really interested in this project, is there another production plan soon? (or even later... :))
Thanks for your passion!

M.

"I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, `for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."
Douglas Adams- Hitchhicker's guide

Good news!  We are ready to start.  I posted an email to send order confirmations here (see first post) and in the Black market. Please check those posts and send all necessary info to the email in the post.  We will send invoices at the end of the week or by Monday.

thanks again everyone!

cheers!

Thanks for all your effort, Mitsos!
Will you offer this for some time or will it be just one batch? December and January are moneywise really bad months to invest in DIY  :-\

jensenmann said:
Thanks for all your effort, Mitsos!
Will you offer this for some time or will it be just one batch? December and January are moneywise really bad months to invest in DIY  :-\
yes, it definitely looks bad to be spending on yourself in December!  That's why you need to give a hint to the girlfriend/wife/parents/etc!! :) 

If there is interest this can happen again, but it's hard to say now of course. By the time this is done someone might want to back out and you can take their place, there's always someone, so don't worry too much about it.
cheers!

Dubka said:
Great news mate!
Can we get a look at the final front panel?
I will post pics as soon as parts start coming in, but it will be a while.  The graphics have not changed, though by thoughts on the color are not 100% set anymore. Someone (you?) mentioned white lettering, after trying it out in Corel, I sort of agree, so the yellow letters have sort of been gonged for now.

Thanks to everyone who has sent in confirmations/pp info. We're pretty near filled up, I'm waiting for people to claim another 10 units and we'll invoice everyone and get this under way. 

The BM thread was deleted because there was some confusion about this belonging in the WM, although I'm not sure that's the right thing to do since every other GB I've participated in happened in the BM, so until it's cleared up and we start invoicing, there will be NO other thread, it is all here, so keep this spot bookmarked please.

thanks again everyone!

Okay, nice.  Yeah, it may have been me.
FWIW - I'd swap the knobs for black so the colour scheme was original.
I also thought simple brushed aluminium, black text, black knobs would look great (a la solid-state pultecs).

Back