EQP-1S5 - 500 series recreation of solid state EQP1A

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Jeff,

You're right of course. I had thought about it when I first started considering the label method, thinking that there would be no paint to add to the sides and mess with the module alignment. But I've since changed it back, I just checked the drawing and it's 1.492" so I hope that'll be fine.

I'm leaning towards the label for the faceplate as it should last much longer than paint (no chips, flakes, and no silk to ever rub off) so I think this size should be ok, but if for some reason we decide to go paint, I'll cut it down to 1.484 to be safe. Thanks for the tip!

No problem.

BTW, I will be in for a pair.

I think things are quiet because everyone is out enjoying the summer with their families on vacations and what not.

you got a pair reserved!  I'm keeping a list of people in googledocs, so I can contact everyone once things are a go.

I wish I were enjoying summer too! Being in the southern hemisphere is very weird.  I'm still not used to no snow on christmas day, and cold weather on my birthday (August). Thankfully, in a few days, I'm coming up north, to enjoy the hot weather everyone's been talking about and drink real beer!!  8)

Thanks again to everyone expressing interest, not much longer til we start!

How challenging a build is this for someone whose DIY experience thus far is limited to guitar pedals? I'm thinking of starting my 500-series adventures with a couple of Classic API pres and I'd like to follow that up with some good EQs. Would this be a reasonable next step after the CAPIs or would it be a major jump up in difficulty?

If these aren't too difficult for a novice to build you can put me down for two.

EDIT: I'd be interested in hearing the price for built/tested units as well.

Thanks!

Thanks for the interest.. I'm not sure how to rate difficulty level, but all I can say is that so far, except for the first 500 series prototype (double-sided home etch PCB) all my pultecs have worked from the start, and I've built a few of them until now..

The only "hard" part to solder on this IMO are the grayhills because of the pins being so close together, but if you have a steady hand, it's not a big deal, just test for shorts after you're done.

There are quite a few capacitors, those are pretty easy, and then you have to wire the trafos. There is an order you have to follow for a couple of parts, that will be detailed before people start building them. Of course, for those who prefer, we can build them up for you, I don't know what I'd charge for something like this yet, as I don't know how much time the final version will take.

ALSO, for those waiting for updates, we are in the final stretch. I was lent a vintage HS56 by a generous member here and, although I am happy with the trafos we are making, I want to make a few tweaks, based on the testing I did on it. I should hopefully have some more parts for this next week, so it should not be long.

Also, Neils is finishing up the rev2 proto and we should be hearing from him very soon. I need to double check the front panel graphics to make sure everything will fit together and I think that's it.

not much more to go, sorry it's taking so long, but life has a way of taking over one's life!

thanks again everyone!

Forgot to add that we tested the 5534->2520 footprint PCB (with BD139/140 output transistors) and it worked like a charm, so if all goes well, one of these PCBs will be included with the EQs (you will be responsible for the 6-7 parts this needs though: NE5534AP, couple of diodes, transistors, resistors and a cap). No pins will be included so you'd need to buy your own Mill-max or do like Niels and use solid-core hookup wire(!).  Works quite well.

cheers!

Man, these look great..  Definitely in for a pair if the price is right.

But, am I the only one who thinks they would look GREAT with white text instead of the yellow?

hey guys, thanks for the posts/interest.  We're in the final moments right now, and since colors were brought up I should let everyone know that we've scrapped the label idea and are discussing paint/anodizing/silk/engraving at the moment to see what combo will yield the best results.

This means the colors could change of course, I don't know what will be available with anodizing, and if we do laser engraved, the text will come out a whitish color I believe.

Everyone who's expressed interest here or by PM is on my list, I'll definitely PM/email as soon as we have news on how to order. Shouldn't be long now! Stay tuned!

thanks!

FWIW - I think it would look really cool just aluminium with black text..
Like the original solid state pultec..

It's done and working nicely, but finding time to run the numbers and figure out how much this will all cost so we can start taking orders is turning out to be quite difficult these days...

Here are pics of the latest prototype. Please note:

1. The faceplate graphics are just printed out and pasted on the metal, it will actually be anodized in the production ones, but that's the best we could do without forking over tons of $$ for proto metalwork. 

2. Some of the caps didn't come in so you'll see a couple non-Wima's in the inside shot, they will all be Wima polypropylenes in the end.

3. The are two metal brackets to hold down the transformers that are not in the picture.

Should have the numbers done by tomorrow I think so we can come up with the final costs, then we'll either move to the WM or BM for taking orders.

3479mds.jpg

16c3s60.jpg

So as far as Pultec clones go, is this thing more on the clean side or the colored side?

Latest posts

Back