HELP! Vintage GR2 ribbon mic rebuild.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TiKkO

I have a Grampian GR2 (1964) ribbon mic I found on ebay a little over a year ago. When I got it I noticed a rattling so I took it apart to witness the broken mess within.
I searched around and found a couple companies that would rebuild it for me and when I told them I only have need for high-end mics they all told me they would rebuild it with RCA BK5 parts.
I still haven't sent it out and, after joining here for help building my dream pre-amp, I was wondering if you guys had any advice on rebuilding it myself.
I can post pics of the disassembled GR2 if that would help.
I've never done this before so I don't want to do it myself if that's bound to turn out disastrous but if I can rebuild it with high-end mic parts and have a nice high-quality vintage sounding ribbon that doesn't hum or anything, please let me know what I need to do.

Hello Tikko,

I know these mics very well - can you post some shots and I will try to give you some good advice.
Or alternatively drop me a PM or email to [email protected] and we can discuss repairing it for you.

Things that can go wrong...

The ribbon will possibly/probably need replacing.

The glue fails and the magnets drop off - they can be reglued.

The ribbon motor used to be held in place by foam. This will probably have turned to dust or gunk by now. It will need cleaning and new foam inside.

Sometimes the transformers in these break, and that can be the hardest part. I can re-wind these for you.

Do you have a connector for it?

In terms of being a 'high end mic', this is not at all bad, but it is what it is.
I don't see how BK5 parts would help here - it is a different microphone.
The pragmatic approach would be to get it working as it should be, and see if you like it. You may even prefer it to a BK5!

Cheers!

Stewart

Latest posts

Back