Any different LDC capsules out there?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HellfireStudios

I would love to see a few of these capsule manufacturing outfits making capsules for some of the other high end mics (not just the classics). The Sony C800G comes to mind. Maybe Brauner's stuff. I just thought I'd put that out there. Any other capsules you guys would like to see made?
Let's stir up some interest, and see what comes of it.

Josephson makes a Sony copy. I believe they cost 1500 dollars each. Dale Ulan had also built the Sony capsule.
Brauner may have a patent on their capsule. Ben Sneesby started building a new edge terminated K47 type he calls a K8.

I'd like to see a hyper-large version of the CK12 capsule.

Although theory tells us that off-axis phasing problems will occur, I doubt it will be a real-world problem.

Just see Josephson's and Sanken's dual-membrane mics (and maybe the Soundfield) - they should behave pretty bad if theory was hetting this right (large distance across).

A hyper-large CK12 - maybe 50mm? - could achieve some pretty high sensitivity without pushing too high a polarisation voltage at it (and they tend to sound better at modest pol. voltages, dunno why).

And it'd look cool too...

Jakob E.

Speaking of extra large capsules, Lauten Oceanus mic seems to have a 38mm (31.25mm diaphragm) capsule and very strong low end. One would expect a larger diaphragm to have more nonlinear behavior and more distortion though?

Won't SDC's in general handle greater SPL levels than LDC's?

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/Mic-University/Technology-Guide/Large%20Diaphragm.aspx

Their explanation is superficial and the article is about omni capsules though. I wonder if after some point (going larger) the membrane starts to fluctuate chaotically? Maybe large capsules are more linear at low levels than small ones? Just speculating.

pasarski said:
Won't SDC's in general handle greater SPL levels than LDC's?

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/Mic-University/Technology-Guide/Large%20Diaphragm.aspx

Their explanation is superficial and the article is about omni capsules though. I wonder if after some point (going larger) the membrane starts to fluctuate chaotically? Maybe large capsules are more linear at low levels than small ones? Just speculating.
There are 2 issues; the capsule design and the electronics.

Because large capsules have much higher output, the electronics will overload earlier.  That's why AKG414 etc need their pads.

Dedicated omni capsules have tight diaphragms  eg the DPA nickel diaphragms on their small omnis based on B&K measurement mikes.  They move less so can go louder before distortion shows itself.

Most large capsules are based on variable pattern mikes like AKG C12 or cardioids like U47.  These need a slack capsule so ultimately they will distort before a tight diaphragm mike.

You can make a tight large diaphragm omni too but no one does cos the customer expects a cardioid or variable pattern.  This would have better output and less distortion.

But in practically all cases, the electronics is the limiting factor.  The B&K mikes use 200V

Latest posts

Back