Modifying Grayhill PCB mounting Rotary Switches

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
horvitz said:
Actually not so bad, I think.  As Dan said, if you carefully remove the front plate from the continuous rotation switch, you'll find the stop holes hiding behind and it looks like you can slide a pin in there (a bit of resistor leg fits well).  Not surprised at all that GH would do this so that they can use the same parts on all of their switches.  Here is a picture of exactly that:

GH71-6.jpg

The switches I want to modify for "stopped" don't have the metal ring insert with the holes, but they do have the pin "receptacles" molded into the plastic piece that houses the detent hardware.
I'm going to try a pin in the plastic, and see if it holds up.
Thanks for the photos!
Best,
Bruno2000

Ruffrecords, Digikey caries the switch that you are desiring. If they won't ship direct to you, you can have it ship to me in the US & I will forward to you, it will cost about $5 these days via air mail from me.
Having played with too many "modular" switches myself, your time is probably worth more than you will save on hours you will spend looking for the microscopic ball bearing that went flying across the room!
If you are brave, here is a tip:
Do the work on the switch with it contained in a large clear plastic bag, so you don't loose any bits!

nielsk said:
Ruffrecords, Digikey caries the switch that you are desiring. If they won't ship direct to you, you can have it ship to me in the US & I will forward to you, it will cost about $5 these days via air mail from me.
Having played with too many "modular" switches myself, your time is probably worth more than you will save on hours you will spend looking for the microscopic ball bearing that went flying across the room!
If you are brave, here is a tip:
Do the work on the switch with it contained in a large clear plastic bag, so you don't loose any bits!

That is a very kind offer. Digikey will ship direct to me but their shipping charges to the UK are extortionate and then I end up paying import tax, on the items PLUS shipping costs, plus a charge for my local carrier to collect the tax which just about doubles the cost of small quantities. I have purchased Grayhill switches from Digikey before and they turn out to be a very expensive option. This explains why I felt it was worth exploring modifying the types readily available here in the UK.

I agree 100% my time would be better spent NOT modifying switches so I may well take you up on your kind offer.

The other avenue I have explored is the distributor Future Electronics here in the UK can obtain them at a good price but the lead time is 6 to 8 weeks. So one thing I thought I would do is see how much interest there is in the UK for Grayhill switches and see if we can do a group buy. I am now going to post a feeler in the free market.

Cheers

Ian

shabtek said:
bumping need for generic multi-deck pcb for grayhills--resistors, fly wired, or pin headers

Something a bit this this for 2 decks??? PCB is 1.85 inches wide and 1.2 inches high.

Cheers

Ian

Attachments

• grayhillpcb.png
    grayhillpcb.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 21
getting there Ian--that appears to breakout to  pin headers or wires

what if each deck came out to a side--the row of holes parallel to the switch shaft so switch would not cover pads for wire\pins
and allow 2 holes per pad on the breakout so resistors could be chained.
I'm picturing a row of resistors on 1 side for 'volume' on 1 deck and a header breaking out to some LC network with 'HZ' on the other deck

I've got several 5 or 6 deck grayhills so if you could do six deck that would be great--probably 2 deck is workable though

best

shabtek said:
getting there Ian--that appears to breakout to  pin headers or wires

what if each deck came out to a side--the row of holes parallel to the switch shaft so switch would not cover pads for wire\pins
and allow 2 holes per pad on the breakout so resistors could be chained.
I'm picturing a row of resistors on 1 side for 'volume' on 1 deck and a header breaking out to some LC network with 'HZ' on the other deck

I've got several 5 or 6 deck grayhills so if you could do six deck that would be great--probably 2 deck is workable though

best

OK, I'll have a go. getting to the sides will be more difficult I think. I'l do a 2 deck version to start and if that works then 6 decks should simply be an extension of it.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back