Where to get hex screws for knobs?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hodad

I'm looking to replace a bunch of the little hex screws in knobs. I'm wondering if there's a good US source someone could point me to.

Last edited:
I get them at tru value, do it best, or any local hardware store with the row of hardware drawers. They have instant gratification quantities, and can order qty boxes within a week.
Mike

Thanks, Mike.  I'll be in the neighborhood of a decent True Value tomorrow--I'll see what they have.

Small update.  Ace was fine for a common value or two, but they didn't have any of the weird stuff I needed (4-40 X 3/16", 8-32 X 7/16"), so it dawned on me to check McMaster-Carr.  And of course they have everything imaginable in set screws.  Minimum qty. is usually 50-100, but for this project that hasn't been that big a problem--I'm changing out about 300 total set screws.

A little OT but I just ran into a screw that McMaster -Carr doesn't have. It's a 4-48 (yes 48) x 1 1/2. An inch is the longest they have. I have a feeling it's going to be a long search.

4-48 reminded me of a question I have on this project:  Does anyone know the thread of the set screw on old EAB fader knobs?  It looks finer than 4-40--maybe it's 4-48?  Should I put on my heavy duty reading glasses & count threads?

hodad said:
Should I put on my heavy duty reading glasses & count threads?

Get one or more of these. http://www.threadtoolsupply.com/screw-checker.html

The problem with the 4-48 screw is that I only need two. I'd buy 10 but not 500. It's to hold together an old Simpson micro ohm meter. Two of the four screws are missing. I'll probably just tap them for 4-40 or do nothing. It works without the screws and it doesn't get used very often.

Back