Anyone ever heard of "Edax"... (vari mu comp)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSLtech

http://www.edaxaudio.com/mu456.htm

Looks reel purrrrdy!

MU-456FRONT.JPG

Keef

Rectangular meters hidden behind round portholes.

What gain tube does it use? They cite two different numbers, neither of them seem to be real tubes.

Price?

from the edax site:
The original PULTEC  circuit  possesses 3 transformers in the step of the audio sign which harm in great measure the quality of audio

but "harmed" audio sounds soooooo sexy :green: :green: :green:

is this a new company? the products look cool and maybe they sound good as well...

Ugggh... That horribly-written page doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. You'd think they could be bothered to get a native English-speaker to proofread for them.

Apparently, it uses 6BC8 (which they incorrectly call "6CB8") with a 6AL5 rectifier for the control voltage.

I lose interest quickly in tube audio products that boast of being transformerless. Why bother? If you hang a bunch of solid-state buffer circuitry on both sides of a tube circuit, is it really a "tube compressor" anymore, in the sense that most people would consider desirable?

But Dave:
Fairchid 670 in fact this type of compressors is obsolete for most of the applications of nowadays, The MU-456 uses the same principle of gain reduction conserving the compression type and classic limitation of this type of systems but com a modern electronics of tubes

???

dude, they com a modern electronics of tubes.

Joel

they show some inside ppics of their 8 channel mic pre.

[/url]http://www.edaxaudio.com/mp800.htm looks pretty good if you ask me ...Unbeatable price/performance ratio! [/quote]

I´m really curious to see the schematics of the discreet front end they use...

The construction looks solid inside! Might be a very nice preamp!

As others have pointed out, a lot of typos on that side, so one cannot really be sure about what's written there. Anyway, a few comments from somebody who just learns to use 6BC8's for vari-mu, and stuggles with the side effects (;->) :

* Well I assume they use 6BC8's.

* Allthough they say transformerless, the also say "all-tube-circuitry", so
I don't expect opamps.

* Look at these slow time constants. I bet they don't really have any serious balancing / CV feedthru issues with a minimum(!) time constant of 25ms at all. So they might just use capacitor coupling instead of transformer coupling.

JH.

Yeah, those prices are outrageous considering that the gear is made in Mexico. If they sell just a couple of compressors, they'll have enough money to buy a house and a hundred acres of land :wink:

I held off from posting these thoughts, but there seem to be a couple of potentially misleadingly-worded issues in their descriptions.

They say things like "all class-a tube circuitry" which can mean two things: either all of the tube circuitry is class-A, but the rest is not" or it can mean "all of the circuitry is tube, and Class A." -Since there appear to be solid state devices in some of their products, it's possible that there are some non class-A, non-tube pieces in there.

The denial of anything to do with transformers is presented as a sonic preference, but in things like a vari-µ compressor, they have such distinct advantages that I suspect the marketing is a little hypey.

Look at their 8-channel preamp, take a close look at this picture:
MP-800inside2.JPG

Once you have counted the number of IC's in it, (I count at least five per channel, and none seem to be used for meter drivers or anything like that) square it with the desciption:
Thanks to its sophisticated discrete state-of-the-art input, transformerless output design and Class-A vacuum tube technology
Well, they're obviously using their words carefully with this particular item...

Not to slam the company, I don't know anyone who's even seen one in the flesh, but they make some good looking gear, that's for sure!!!

Keith

By the way: Even the Manley Massive Passive uses opamp inputs (beside the Farnell inductors :green: ).
I don't see the problem. If you like it clean or one tube is enough colouration, why not using an opamp for balanced input.

[quote author="Michael Krusch"]By the way: Even the Manley Massive Passive uses opamp inputs (beside the Farnell inductors :green: ).
I don't see the problem. If you like it clean or one tube is enough colouration, why not using an opamp for balanced input.[/quote]

You certainly have a point here - if the signal runs thru a transistor mixing desk later anyway, then why not putting it thru opamps even in the "tube" compressor / preamp / whatever. And nevertheless it makes me cringe every time I see a tube circuit, or even a discrete transistor circuit, with opamp inputs and outputs.

I'm not entirely sure why this is. But I'm quite convinced that tubes are not the only devices that make some coloration, and building a tube device may not only mean getting "tube coloration" (whatever that is in that particular case), but might also mean avoiding something else, namely "opamp coloration" (again: whatever that is in that particular case). And building a single box following one design philosophy may be a good thing even when technologies are mixed in the whole recording process, but then at least the building blocks are available independently, so you can choose which part of your system (FX devices, desk, tape machine, ...) are made of which technology. If you have a mix of opamps and tubes in one box, you don't have them available as separate building blocks anymore.

*Of course* it's perfectly ok to create devices whose philosophy is a certain mix of technologies! In a way, the choice to have tubes, but no transformers, plus opamps, makes up a whole new category of its own, which has a right to exist just like anything else. And it will certainly have a special sonic character of its own.

However, in classic tube circuits, much of the sonic character comes from transformers as much as, or even more than from tubes. And transformer balanced inputs and outputs show a quite different behaviour in terms of common mode range that elecronically balanced inputs and outputs. (Not to speak of the multitude of so-called-symmetrical outputs which emulate a center-grounded transformer instead of a real floating transformer!)

So as these generally (and I know there was a lot of generalising in the above!) have quite different sonic idiosyncrasies, it's quite misleading to adress both categories with the same words, such as "class A tube circuits".

JH.

Well, this can be nice unit....lack of transformer's coloration
compensated with very low cv breakthrough of tub vca at high freq's
if built good....as well as extended gain reduction range
but bit more hiss than trafo-based brothers...
Headache is true balanced input stage...
It is possible to do same thing with complete absence of capacitors
in audiopath - once done and workin'
:))

Back