DIY microphone project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RuudNL

I had some microphone capsules laying around, so I thought it was a good idea to use them.
After some sawing and filing, this is the result:

microphone.JPG

The microphone is based on a K47 style capsule:

capsule.JPG

The electronics are based on a Schoeps style circuit, with a DC/DC converter to produce a polarisation voltage of 60 volts.

mic_electronics.JPG

By the way: the body of the microphone was made of a piece of aluminium tube from a laundry drying mill. Well, it was too high anyway!...

MicBody2.jpg

Nice work! Can you tell more about the DC-DC converter part, a schematic maybe? Did you try the mic without it?

pasarski said:
Can you tell more about the DC-DC converter part, a schematic maybe?

The schematic is basically this circuit:

converter.gif

I raised the value of the zener diode to 7.5 V.
Also I used a trimmer instead of the 8.2 pF capacitor, to 'fine tune' the output voltage.
Of course the microphone works without this converter, but a higher polarisation voltage means more output and a better signal to noise ratio. (Lower self noise.)

nice looking project.
have you done any tests vs some projects offered here?

I love the final result body.

zebra50 said:
Great job - nice to see something that isn't a kit. Did you etch the PCB?

dito. I like when people try something new. As convenient as the various kit projects are for beginners, I'd like to see more "real" DIY-stuff.

I like your DIY mic body - looks really handsome!  :D

I have to agree with Marik, the capsule doesn't look K47-style to me. The hole pattern is K67-style.

zebra50 said:
Did you etch the PCB?
Yes, it was DIY from the beginning until the end!

3nity said:
LOL Wait then till you see my home brewed c12... Home everything.
I can't wait to see it!

Rossi said:
... the capsule doesn't look K47-style to me. The hole pattern is K67-style.
To be honest: the capsule on the picture is a different one than the one that is in the microphone now. I thought it was a waste to use a double sided capsule when I only wanted a cardioid pattern. It is a K47 now.
(This prooves again that you never can fool real professionals!)

Back