"Manleyish" Tube Microphone (ST51 + SCT 800)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mauritius89

Hey,

I stumbled over ther wonderful detailed Manley Reference Cardioid analysis thread from @kingkorg and his various rebuilds based around the origial capsule also used in a Sterling Audio ST51. My st51 laying around unused since years and because my electronic knowledge is not high enough to build a tube microphone from scratch I decided to combine the capsule with an t-bone SCT 800. KingKorg shows that the tube circuit of a Manley is very clean, the SCT800 is the complete opposite. My goal is not to rebuild the Manley in general but getting a good sounding tube microphone with a "Manley" capsule.

The biggest change I did so far, beside the capsule and microphone body swaps (manleyish lookalike), is the replacement of the the original tube to a 6072. The new tube is working so far and brings some improvment to the sound but I don't know if the pcb and psu should be adjusted to a 6072 (original tube is a 12AX7).

Besides, I would like to do some changes of the pcb to improve the performance of the microphone based around the modding gtc did. It is the most complete and well thought out modding of a SCT800 I could find (the whole thread about the SCT800 is quite interesting). Still I don't know if there are some changes I should do to the change of a 6072? I also read a lot about tuning a circuit to a spezific capsule. Is that necessary in this task? The original capsule is a k67 and the felio/st51 capsule is a k67, aren't they?

I attached some pictures. First is the original schematic of a sct800 from @In76d. Second is the modded schematic from @gct.

Attachments

• original.jpg
    original.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 1
  • modded_gct.jpg
    modded_gct.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back