Extreme Noob, general question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kissmyproacs

Hey guys, so I am totally new to the DIY community but I find it so intriguing and I really would love to learn how to start buying kits and building them, but I want to be able to build something completely simple first just to get familiar with how all this works.

So I was wondering if anyone knows of a thread or something that will guide me on building any sort of audio circuit out of simple parts from radioshack? I'm not looking to build something I would ever use in my mixes or tracking, but I do have some of the pre drilled perfboard packs, assorted resistors and caps, and I've got a little project box. I also have a male/female xlr connectors for getting audio in and out. I realize i'll probably need a few more things, but I was hoping there was something extremely simple that a noobie like me could build just to get started and have a fun.

Hope there is something out there,

Thanks guys!

http://www.electronickits.com/kit/complete/complete.htm?utm_source=msn&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=High%2BPriority%2BKeywords

radio shak also has kits, use 60/40 solder, not acid core,

Hi,
I spent some time doing some guitar fx projects at first, www.diystompboxes.com

Any mistakes are totally ok working on 9v DC .... you can check the battery with your tongue !!
( don't try that with 240v AC ! )

Will get your soldering skills up to scratch ... not knowing how advanced you are ... just an idea
and you could build a couple of really cool things to boot.

MM.

I really have to recommend the GSSL, for sooo many reasons....

a few:

1. GREAT sounding compressor when you are done. Very usable.
2. A huge support community, maybe the GSSL is the most supported project we have?
3. NOT a kit! Yes, that's a good thing. When you are done with the GSSL and it works and sounds fabulous, you will be filled with such a great sense of accomplishment.
4. Trust me, very doable.

Really the only thing that might be a buster is the cost... Maybe $300-400? when you are done. But, you can buy little bits at the time...

I second the idea of starting with a stompbox. Another possibility would be a good DI, perhaps with a switchable 20dB pad so you can put it on the output of a guitar amp in parallel with the speaker..

Peace,
Paul

diy stompboxes. Another vote. Will get you knowing some concepts of switching, wiring, supply.

Also, you'll be owkring on supplies with 1 rail, no main work (but still enough for it to go wrong).

There's a transistor booster intro project that is quite cool. Then the usuals: MXR Dist+, tubescreamer, autowahs, etc.

People are friendly and helpful. There's also kits.

Then come back here and build a GSSL or 1176 :) then build your way up to a fairchild Point to point xD

I started with a big nasty tube preamp :D but yeah, guys here have wonderful advice, you can't miss with a stompbox. The easiest project ever for me was silent:arts jensamp germanium preamp which I literally built over a rainy afternoon from a kit. A non-kit easiest build would have been the S800 trident 80b equalizer, though that one isn't as supported and it might be tricky to get a hold of some PCBs and/or cases for it.

Anyway, enjoy this opportunity to do something yourself, it truly is rewarding.

Latest posts

Back