Gates SA-39B - Attack and Release Modifications Questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GussyLoveridge

GDIY Supporter
Thanks in advance for reading and helping me with this. I do appreciate it as always.

I’m trying to devise some attack and release times that would be suitable for modification to a Gates SA-39B. What I’ve come to realize is that I’ve never really thought about attack and release times in relation to micro or milliseconds before. I usually just turn the knobs on what ever piece of equipment that I’m using until it achieves the desired sound I’m looking for. I am assuming that I will fine tune these values by ear eventually but I’m trying to give myself a starting place. I read through the manuals for the SA-39B and the Sta-Level. Much of the math I’m using has come from the Sta-Level manual. I’m hoping that premise is correct for my use. As well, I checked out the attack times for the 1176 from the UA manual (20-800 microseconds or as they quote “Extremely Fast”).

I measured some of the transients on some of my recent recording sessions which seem to in the area of 1-3 milliseconds. I have used this information to inform my decisions here but I could be way off. I honestly have no idea. I am not looking for “Extremely Fast” for this unit. I can get that from another hardware or software compressor.

For the release times, I took a look at a broad range of temps 80-150 bpm and looked at the various lengths of subdivisions from within a bar of 4/4. I'm basing the release times roughly on those.

I think I’m going to use a 6 position switch for the attack times and the existing resistor ladder (I think that’s what that’s called) for the release times. I am thinking that the 6 pos attack switch should be inserted in series following the plates of the 6H6. I am also wondering if there is interaction with the resistor ladder for release times that I need to be taking into account for the attack times - I don’t think so?

Anyway - here’s what I’ve come up with.

So do these times make sense as a starting point? Can you suggest any other possibilities? Am I way off point here?

Please see the attached schematic and document.

Attachments

• SA-39B Attack and Release Modifications.png
    SA-39B Attack and Release Modifications.png
    128.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Gates SA-39B Limiter Schematic.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 5
Look at DaveP’s approach, which IIRC is my approach, more or less. I spent awhile with a real unit and my ears varying the values. Math will only get you to a place without ears, as a starting point. The theoretical timing provided bu the math is only a very small fraction of the total picture. For example Dave’s build did not sound like an original with the same timing mods because of all the OTHER variables.

Latest posts

Back