What is your preferred mechanical CAD software?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buildafriend

I would like to start outputting to mechanical design software from Design Spark. I was wondering what some of you prefer to use for mechanical CAD and if there is any good freeware out there. It's a lot to sort through.

Thanks,
-JP

buildafriend said:
I would like to start outputting to mechanical design software from Design Spark. I was wondering what some of you prefer to use for mechanical CAD and if there is any good freeware out there. It's a lot to sort through.

For 2D drawings I use QCAD Pro on the Mac. I paid the $40 for the "Pro" license.

For a short time, Autodesk had a free version of their Inventor Fusion 3D modeling program available in the Mac app store. It's gone from there now, but I still have it. I suppose if I had to get serious about 3D modeling, I'd spring for a real license.

-a

I'm using CorelDraw for everything 2D. Chassis and Frontpanel Design, small PCBs , digital prints....

Its not free, but its worth the money. You can get some older versions on ebay quite cheap.

...markus :)

Markus_Krippner said:
I'm using CorelDraw for everything 2D. Chassis and Frontpanel Design, small PCBs , digital prints....

Its not free, but its worth the money. You can get some older versions on ebay quite cheap.

...markus :)
I use corel for front panel art but for 3d design I bought Turbocad... not great but a decent value for the modest cost.

JR

In addition to TurboCAD, the same company (IMSI) now owns/sells DesignCAD which I've used for many years.

http://www.imsidesign.com/Products/DesignCAD?gclid=CIuJp9Wv2cYCFQiNaQod1r0Lvw

Bri

Another vote for TurboCAD.

I did all the mechanical drawings for my console on TurboCAD and its really powerful once you get the hang of it… I was able to lay out and submit all the metal work with turboCAD and everything came back perfect...

and there is a Mac version…

I'm not a big fan of the print functions tho - it has a hard time with small curves as it doesn't handle curved path's - instead it creates all the curves or arc's as a series of individual dots instead of a continuos line…

+1 for Qcad..    the first of the new gen of CAD programs that doesnt feel like riding the dildo bike.  price is right as well, and even their "trialware"  turning off printing afer 2min into startup is no big deal...  save , restart,  print..   

Latest posts

Back