beatnik

IPC AM-1065 transformers = UTC ?
« on: March 17, 2017, 08:05:28 AM »
I have been looking at a pair of IPC AM-1065 tube preamp modules

The audio transformers are stamped with FP-3427 and FP-3428

Searched on the forum and someone posted pictures of a similar model by IPC with UTC HA-100x and A-25 transformers

I was wondering if you have any information on these FP- transformers ?

keeeth

Re: IPC AM-1065 transformers = UTC ?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 07:29:02 AM »
Bump

I keep seeing these transformers

Does anyone have any info on them?

EmRR

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 08:40:22 AM »
Both types were used, so functionally equivalent. What else is needed?
Best,

Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders

"I think this can be better. Some kind of control that's intuitive, not complicated like a single knob" - Crusty

"Back when everything sounde

keeeth

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 09:22:35 AM »
I was hoping for a pinout and some information on the windings if possible, the ones I've seen don't have anything on them

Also, just so I'm clear, I have the other IPC preamps mentioned here but one of my Ha-100x is damaged
Are you saying the FP-3427/8's are a suitable replacement?

rackmonkey

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 03:33:18 PM »
Most of the FP-3427s I’ve seen are made by Freed, not UTC.  I have had IPC products in my saved searches on evilbay for a few years, and have seen a lot come through over that time.

if the top of the transformer case looks somewhat like a UTC A-series transformer, then UTC probably made them. The ones with a circular groove on the top of the case are made by Freed.

Functionally the same, but if you’re specifically after what you suspect to be an OEM labeled HA-100x. then note the difference.
Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're probably right.

keeeth

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 05:35:52 PM »
Ok thanks for the info

Ultimately I just want it to sound the same, would that be the case?

rackmonkey

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 01:53:30 AM »
I have no experience with either IPC transformer, so I can't tell you for certain that they sound the same. They were made to the same specification, but there are often differences between similarly spec'ed transformers made by different companies. I can tell you that I've used off-the-shelf PGA, PMA and QGA series Freed transformers in several units, and they sound very good.

Here's a Freed catalog from 1966. Though less well-known  than UTC, Freed made some very good broadcast quality units.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kX_xuYNaw_IDw9yM7nPez_TQNg8YX5WV/view?usp=sharing
Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're probably right.

keeeth

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 09:21:43 AM »
Ah cool I'll have a read through, thanks

When I say the same, sound I just mean in general

So for instance, could the difference between these Freeds and the UTC be likened to the difference between Marinair/st Ives/Carnhill in a Neve?
In that they were commissioned by Neve to make transformer to a spec and the differences end up being ultimately subjective

Do you have a pinout for these? Or do you know what it where?
The HA-100x has a lot more terminals than the FR 3247 I'm looking at and I'm not sure which ones the windings are on