Fostex B16 no audio signal

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phlat

Hi, I recently picked up a Fostex B 16 reel to reel....  Everything turns on and mechanically seems to work as it should but I'm getting no audio signal running through the machine. No playback from tape, no record levels. I plugged an ipod into one of the inputs and and from the output I plugged into a mixer... when I cranked the gain I was getting a very very faint signal of what I was playing on the ipod.
I researched a bit online and found someone with a similar problem.  They were able to fix their machine by replacing 3 of the voltage regulators (+12, -12, +5).    I have a voltage meter but problem is I don't know where the V reg's are located or really what they look like... Any help or suggestions would be very appreciated!

I've attached an image of the inside of the b16

Attachments

• IMG_1848 (1).JPG
    IMG_1848 (1).JPG
    820.6 KB · Views: 15
Its more likely that its dried out electrolytic caps in the power supply.  You can find supply voltages at any of the opamps.  Identify an opamp (or other IC's) on the main board, then download the spec sheet and find power supply pins.  Use a pointed probe tip and carefully probe the power supply pins.  You should typically see +12v/-12v at those pins.  If not,  pull and replace the filter caps.  This could be a can of worms.    Although less likely, there could be a short that is pulling down one of the rails.  Hard to determine with limited info.

Highly recommend getting a schematic before attempting repairs.  There is AC voltage in this chassis!  You should know where you're probing and how to do it to be safe.

Regards,
Jeff

Hey Jeff, thanks so much for the advise.  I have the service manual and have been going thru it.  I'm a bit of a novice with electronics so I'm taking my time and trying to be thorough.  The electrolytic capacitors seem visibly intact, but I will test them all tonight.  Thanks again.  hopefully no can of worms  :-\

Latest posts

Back