Mini eBay Nightmare

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phrazemaster

I'm gathering parts for some upcoming builds, and was just about to pull the trigger on a component when my girlfriend said, "Wait, isn't that your old address?"

I looked and for some bizarre reason my address from 8 years ago was showing as the "default address" in the window. I quickly changed it, but then had the dreaded thought - what if other recent purchases had that old address too?

Checking my purchase history, sure as sh*t 3 other transactions had my old address! I wrote the sellers, and two had not yet shipped so I was able to give them the correct address. For the third, I was able to divert the package en-route (that only cost me an additional $20 through USPS! Even though it was going to the same general area of the country and hadn't left the originating state - I paid the original shipping PLUS the redirect fee!!!). I also called eBay and spoke for over an hour with their service rep. She couldn't figure out how my default address had gotten changed, and was sure it had been me. I am sure it wasn't.

Um, hmmm, you have to go out of your way to change an address - and even go through more hoops to change a default. Unless I did it while sleeping.

Sigh, OK so I changed my default address back to my current address. You also have to change your "registration address" too - I didn't know about that.

The most important component that was misdirected was an O-1 transformer that I've been having trouble finding. I managed to contact the seller via message and he said no problem, he would be shipping Monday. Crisis averted!

Or so I thought.

I got a confirmation a few days later that "Congratulations! Your item was delivered! (to my old address!!!!).

Contacted seller, tracked package - yep, he had sent it to the old address by mistake. Comedy of errors.

So I was out of town, otherwise I would just have gone over to that house. After all I lived there for 11 years. But my roommate went over instead. Someone opened the door and said their daughter and son-in-law owned the house, but had just left for Barbados the day before and he didn't know when they'd be back. And he didn't know where the mail was as he was just there keeping an eye on the place.

Sigh.

So as it stands I wrote a letter to that address along with $7 and asked them to ship it to me, or contact me so I could go pick it up. It's not so much that it's a super rare item, but O-1's don't come up that often. So now I'm waiting for them to come home from vacation and see if they will contact me about this.

What a mess!

So strange - something gets mailed to the wrong house and poof! You can't do anything about it! They could keep the item, throw it away, lose it - no accountability and I lose the item and perhaps the money too if eBay or the seller don't side with me.

I'll try to post back here when I get more information to let you know what happened.

Anyone else have any eBay horror stories?

Mike

Before you pay on E-bay a mailing address shows up. You have an option to change It before you hit pay now.
If you have several address options you can delete unwanted ones or add new ones and even change the default shipping option.

Winetree said:
Before you pay on E-bay a mailing address shows up. You have an option to change It before you hit pay now.
If you have several address options you can delete unwanted ones or add new ones and even change the default shipping option.
Yep. I'm totally aware of that. Thing is, my default address was correct. I didn't change it, and I was not in the habit of checking the address every time because my default address was right. "Something" - or "someone" - somehow - changed that. I didn't.

sorry to hear that Phrazemaster.  01 s are rare these days.  Hope it comes through.  Sounds like some preamps are in the works.  Good luck buddy!

scott2000 said:
My mail carrier is constantly putting packages in the wrong box. we have one of those central boxes on the corner of the street. One time I had a part for my truck that was mis-delivered and the nice neighbor returned it to me. After he opened it to make sure it wasn't something he could use......

Good thing it wasn't a ***** pump....
Hilarious!

And annoying.

Back