Athens

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocinante

It's been awhile but I'm taking a trip in mid October for no reason other than to travel and go someplace I've never been to but always wanted; Greece.
I travelled a lot in my youth. Roamed aimlessly with no purpose. As I got older I travelled in various bands on tour, opting to stay on the road playing guitar whenever I could. 
It was with purpose though. There was a mission.
For the last 10 years everything I've done has been as a means to some end. I went there to get that or play this or see so-and-so to do that.
I need to just go someplace just to go someplace.
Greece has always beckoned me. I find it fascinating and beautiful and for some reason or another I kept putting it off and going other places even though if you asked me: "If you could go anywhere?" my instantaneous response has always been: Greece!
Having recently divorced and despite it all doing a pretty damn good job of dealing with it for the sake of my son i have an opening and I need to get away.
I'm travelling with my old dear friend whom I hopped freight trains with and know he's made of the same material as me so doesn't mind 'roughing it'.  We arent poor but we arent rich.  I am actually just barely able to afford it.  We are planning on spending a week in Athens and then some time on the islands for a total of two weeks. I'm on the fence if i should bring my guitar and maybe book a gig or two.

That all said; any suggestions?

I know many of you have been around.  I know many of you also like learning.  I want to play but I also want to explore.
If there's a place in Athens where an American who plays folk punk gypsy music could get a gig I'd love to get pointed in the right direction.

Any decent affordable hotels?  We plan on using air b and b and hostels mostly.
I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions by anyone especially our Greek members.
Cheers
Dylan

No suggestions I'm afraid, but I'm following this thread with interest.  I've also always had a fascination with Greece, and plan on visiting in the next couple of years when the the youngest family member gets a little bit older.

Hi! Sounds like an excellent plan, greece and it´s people are  wonderful, though the last years have taken it´s toll on the greek society (EU/financial sharks gutting the place in a way void of heart and wisdom, with a lot of refugees being stranded here in terrible conditions, this giving rise to fascist groups and severe drug problems as well as general poverty).
Check out Exarcheia for nice people and music! This city is really alive in spite all the problems.

One week is much too short for the islands  :)

Sounds fun man! I wouldn't take a guitar though. Seems like it would weigh you down.  Learn your songs an a ukulele and take that. Or if your set on a guitar, get a cheapie from guitar center or Craigs list for under $100.  That way if its stolen or damaged its no big deal, you can even give it to someone before you come home.

Wish I could tell you the scoop, but I can't even though in fact I am half Greek. I went to Athens and other places in Greece in 2014 and saw my relatives there, and it was fabulous.

However I can give one, terrifically important piece of advice: DON'T GO DURING THE SUMMER MONTHS!!!!  I guess October will be OK but might still be a little hot.

Greece is hotter than hades in summer - your hair will melt, I kid you not. I was in Greece in August and went to the Parthenon with my brother, and we couldn't stay very long just due to the soul-melting heat heat heat!!!

Hope you enjoy a wonderful time!!!

Ya Su!

Mike

Thanks gents,
That is good advice about the guitar. An old beater maybe then.  Also October seemed perfect but thanks for the heat warning.

I don't have specific recommendations as far as places or hotels, but you have plenty of good options in Greece.

What I can tell you is that Greek people are really nice and it's a wonderful country to visit, you will have a great time.

A lot of interesting places to visit, history and culture, a cool vibe, great food and weather.

Latest posts

Back