Best first project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deuc224

Hey guys, ive been here for a long long time.  Ive bought and sold a bunch of things that just never got built so now its time to dig in full speed.  I need a good starter project that i can use.  I know people say to make guitar pedals but i dont have a guitar lol.  Preamps are more complicated but am willing to be patient and learn.  REDD 47  looks decent without phantom power but power supplies on those look very different.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated guys thank you.

The best first project is something you actually need for the studio.  That need will motivate you when things don't work, when you are missing parts etc.

I wouldn't recommend a tube project as your very first.

Thanks ruair, i could use maybe a preamp of some sort like maybe a 1290 or something.  Ill stay away from tube things then for now so maybe a 1290 to start?

I think an API 312 style project is the best first project. Pretty simple, and a good circuit to learn troubleshooting on!

Also, how are your soldering skills?

Hey iampoor1 lol, my solder skills are decent, im no master but i can populate a board pretty easy.  312 seems like a good starter too!

And I believe that you will be much more satisfied overall with any of the DIY 312 circuits offered than current API or other modern manufactured offerings, especially considering the price point.

Thanks!

Paul

312 it is then.  Which one should i dive into?  Meaning the one with the most documentation, im sure i will have to build a PSU also so that is something to consider :)

deuc224 said:
312 it is then.  Which one should i dive into?  Meaning the one with the most documentation, im sure i will have to build a PSU also so that is something to consider :)

I would say Jeff's CAPI if you have a 500 series rack. Easiest one to build. The Access 312 are good if you want a rack. Dan at Collective Cases sells both boards and cases. Are are well documented. The CAPI ones are a complete kit and the Access you will have to source parts.

Thanks!

Paul

ruairioflaherty said:
The best first project is something you actually need for the studio.  That need will motivate you when things don't work, when you are missing parts etc.

I wouldn't recommend a tube project as your very first.

I'll second Ruairio's post

Back