Punctured capsule - flip it around for cardioid only?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockinrob86

I punctured the front membrane of a k47 style capsule.  I never really use the omni setting on this mic, so I flipped it around and it works again. 

However, I was wondering, it it functionally identical to how it was before, or does this small puncture change the frequency response of the opposite side?

When I tried to use it hoping it was ok before, the sound came through but was very distorted and it sounded like I had a ring modulator or some kind of crazy effect on it.  Flipped around, it sounds good but I cannot really give it a work out at least until this evening so I'm still a bit nervous.

If you will connect it in "true" cardioid (not sure what circuit you are using) then it shouldn't affect cardioid pattern at all.
Which exactly capsule it is? What is the position of that puncture  - near center, gold plating or clear diaphragm part?

As long as the hole in the membrane isn't too big, it will not cause serious problems.
(I can confirm what kingkorg wrote: I once had a microphone with a very small hole in one of the membranes and you didn't notice any difference compared to a 'good' one.)

The puncture is directly over one of the vent holes towards the side.

The mic is a DEF47, and I just disconnected and heatshrinked the side that had the puncture, and switched the wire around so the good side is going into the circuit.  Capsule is a maiku K47 clone.  Basically, I used the wrong size screws and the capsule worked itself loose over time and I didn't notice until it was too late.  One of the screws must've hit it.

Back