win 10 sound problem

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

I am looking at a HP laptop(not mine) that the sound stopped working possibly after a win 10 update. Two days ago it worked yesterday is stopped. I was told this has happen before and updating the driver fixed it. The laptop  user has good browsing habits.

At the diagnostic level in bios the sound test works

Went though all the normal thing checking for the right drivers, updated the driver made sure the right device is selected etc.  ran troubleshooting, searched and looked at you tube videos.

One thing I did notice is it has B&O stuff installed for the audio this came with the laptop and is not new.

Is there something else I should look for?

I gave up on windows after 7, so I am not current on things that might have changed with troubleshooting 10.

Going back to 7 is not an option.

I am asking here because a lot of sites I found show or explain how to do the simple stuff or want to sell some added software.

You may have installed drivers, but did you fully remove the old one's first, and scour the registry for entries to those older drivers?

Win 10 loves to try to find the best driver and install without your help, but it is not so good at removing corrupted drivers.

If there's any .inf's and code half-arsed making calls to the hardware and asking the hardware to look at the stuff it has, that will mess up your attempts to start over.

Edit: As an aside, also look for https://threatpost.com/keylogger-found-in-audio-drivers-on-some-hp-machines/125600/
while you're in there, just to be safe.
If your LT had win 7 on it, that may mean it is old enough that the keylogger won't be a concern.

Also you'll want to probably find the hardware manufacturer's website for the chip in question, and be sure and get the drivers from them, assuming their updates do in fact port to 10.

I figured your chip would be a realtek. Never heard of Bang and Olufsen chips =P

boji

Thanks for the post and link. I did not look at the registry.

Funny thing powered off the HP laptop earlier today.
Just turned it on again(did nothing else) and the sound works again.
I had rebooted a number of times before this.

It does have a realtek IC.

Back