RFZ V713/1h Power Supply Options. Whats out there?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIYorDIE

Hi fellow slutz!
  Im looking to rack a pair of V713/1h limiter/comps and need a little assistance finding the best power supply options. I believe they need a -24v 500ma dc power supply. I don't mind building a kit our purchasing a completed unit. I have schematics and have searched, but most links are long dead.

Has anyone had experience with such GDR gear? If so what are your recommendations/ tips/ tricks? 

I believe I can use a Telefunken N624 PSU, as one is available to purchase at a reasonable cost. Does anyone have schematics for the N624?

And are any power supply options in the 120v operating range? Or am I limited to 220 only?

Thanks in advance for any roasting/ chastising/ trolling/ and or help, as i am fairly new to DIY!

Attachments

• IMG_7412.jpg
    IMG_7412.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
The Telefunken PSU won't work as it puts out +24V and you need -24V.
There is the FiveFish Studio  2448mk2 kit which has a positive and negative rail plus a Phantom power rail.
Then there is the JML AC/DC 3 kit which has essentially the same features. But I'm not sure if it comes in a complete kit so you have to source some parts yourself.

The FiveFish kit is very easy to build.
Also heard only good things about the JML stuff.

There are probably a few other kits but these two are the ones that come to my mind now.

Remember that you need to build the RFZ F713/h  if you want to use the compressor to it's full potential.

EDIT: I don't know where you're located, but there is a FiveFish kit for sale right now in the black market.

Murdock said:
Yeah, but is the - not tied to chassis on the PSU? And the + is tied to chassis on the compressor?
Not in the N624 PSU. And not in any (West-) German broadcast module. I don't know the (East-) German V713 but it doesn't mater anyway if you use the N624 floating.

[silent:arts] said:
Not in the N624 PSU. And not in any (West-) German broadcast module. I don't know the (East-) German V713 but it doesn't mater anyway if you use the N624 floating.

Hmm okay, but wouldn't it cause problems when he used other gear with that PSU that need +24v and when they have - tied to chassis?
Like the V276a for example.

http://audio.kubarth.com/rundfunk/getfile.cgi?f=>%2C34U%2C%238W-CDY-5%5DV%2BW-I96UE%3BG-%3F%3DC%28W-F%24N9VEF%0A

There they say to connect 0V to ground/chassis.

I'm not sure if DIYorDIE has plans to connect other equipment to the N624?

Murdock said:
There they say to connect 0V to ground/chassis.
But you don't need to  ;)
But it is a good example showing that 0V and Chassis are not connected together in the modules.

Thank you for the great replies! I do have an F713 that needs repair. I will need to reverse engineer it to make a copy for the other unit.  It seems to be a very simple circuit/remote.

I do have some ELA V620 pres I think are run on +20, 24v, but will most likely use a seperate supply for them. This supply will be dedicated for the V713’s.

Any info on calibration procedures for these comps/limiters? They have been decommissioned for some time since leaving Berlin.  I have schematics but no service documents.

Cheers gentleman!

Hello everyone,
Bumping the discussion, since i am in exact same situation now, as DIYorDIE used to be when posting (except that i use a N324, but i’m sure it’s the same psu build as N624)
Would be curious to know how things were handled at that point.Did the simple reverse polarity of the N624 worked as expected for the V713?
Checking at schematics, it would mean to my understanding plugging the Live 24V to the earth connection (i.e. pin#13a+b of XB1C/XS1C connectors) and the Neutral to what is supposed to be the -24v (pin#3b of same connectors).
To my understanding again (and as a double check), it would consequently feed the pin#1 of IC-1 and pin#2 of IC2 with the ‘original’ 24V, and also connect the neutral (what becomes -24v in the system) to pin#4 of IC1.

Are all my assumptions right? Or did i miss/misunderstand anything?
I presume you guys have same schematics reference as I do, but of course if needed, I can post it here.

Also DIYorDIE, did you manage to build the remote eventually? Very curious of that.

Thank you by advance for all these infos!

Cheers

Last edited:
I believe they need a -24v 500ma dc power supply

And are any power supply options in the 120v operating range? Or am I limited to 220 only?

A -24VDS 500mA PSU is really easy to do, most of the PSU you can find in the White Market will be able to do that as most of them are 2 rails (+ and -) plus phantom power.
You just need the negative rail of one of those PSU's.

120VAC input just depends on the transformer you use with the PSU circuit, I advise you a Toroidal transformer 120VAC primary and 24VAC secondary

Wh
A -24VDS 500mA PSU is really easy to do, most of the PSU you can find in the White Market will be able to do that as most of them are 2 rails (+ and -) plus phantom power.
You just need the negative rail of one of those PSU's.

120VAC input just depends on the transformer you use with the PSU circuit, I advise you a Toroidal transformer 120VAC primary and 24VAC secondary
As far as i know that particular V713 design asks for a ‘positive ground’, wich leads me to conclude the + wire coming from such psu you dedcribe should still be connected at the 0v of the unit, while the negative feeding the main power of the circuit?

Hello,

you can use every power supply with 24 Volts DC. The DC voltage should be well stabilized and screened. Best for use is a linear power supply like from adt audio.
The reference point are: +24 V -> Cab 13-> this pole must be earthed.
The minus pole must be connected to Cb3.

Don´t use modules from Neumann with this power supply! The reference point for these modules is -24Volt.

You can use other modules from the RFZ with this power supply if there is enough power.

Look at this webseite for more informations:
www.rfz-der-ddr.de

Best regards!

jokeramik

Back