ADM Console 780 Module - Q About Mic/Line Pre Section

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magicchord

Referring to the attached schematic, the second stage uses an LF356 opamp with a simple buffer. The gain switch on another page shorts out R34 for all but the highest gains so A3 usually runs at unity gain.
My question: what is the purpose of C8 from the LF356 output pin to ground? Intuitively I would think increasing the capacitance on the chip's output would not be a good thing, but I guess I'm missing something. Your thoughts?
Thanks.

Attachments

• ADM_780_input.jpg
    ADM_780_input.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 39
Good question. I don't have a clue. There is a lot of circuitry between the output and the inverted input. But if they were worried about it oscillating at high frequencies, they could have just put a cap directly between the output and inverting input. Totally unclear why they would want to selectively switch it in your shunt to ground. Makes no sense. I must be missing something too.

squarewave said:
Good question. I don't have a clue. There is a lot of circuitry between the output and the inverted input. But if they were worried about it oscillating at high frequencies, they could have just put a cap directly between the output and inverting input. Totally unclear why they would want to selectively switch it in your shunt to ground. Makes no sense. I must be missing something too.

Perhaps it is local compensation has to do with the input capacitance of the following BJTs. Perhaps abbey can shed some light into this.

Latest posts

Back