boji

Re: Capacitors in parallel
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2019, 04:40:39 AM »
You are right, Music is math! https://youtu.be/F7bKe_Zgk4o
Semblance Factor!

Edit:
A recap would be impractical (600+); large monolithic PCB with easily damaged traces.
I've recently fell in love with a hot air gun with 8mm nozzle.  All my thru-hole parts practically fall out.  Quick work.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 04:59:53 AM by boji »

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2019, 01:26:13 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone, very informing although some of it was over my head still!

gyraf

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2019, 03:43:37 AM »
The quality of the electrolytics counts.

The electrolytic-bypass-polyester-caps in the audio path of the GSSL are there because I unknowingly went through a batch of very bad quality electrolytics (in the early 90'es, before counterfeiting was common and expected), and subjective sound quality clearly improved with the paralleling. Since then it became a habit.

In some positions, like for the cathode bypass cap in tube circuits, I still use such parallels.

Jakob E.
..note to self: don't let Harman run your company..

JohnRoberts

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2019, 09:07:19 AM »
The quality of the electrolytics counts.
Electrolytic capacitors have evolved over the decades, generally for the better.

Most of the development in general purpose electrolytic caps was to make them the same but smaller/cheaper.  Another direction of technology development effort made them lower impedance (less ESR/ESL) for use in switching PS circuits. 

All pretty well defined on data sheets.
The electrolytic-bypass-polyester-caps in the audio path of the GSSL are there because I unknowingly went through a batch of very bad quality electrolytics (in the early 90'es, before counterfeiting was common and expected), and subjective sound quality clearly improved with the paralleling. Since then it became a habit.

You don't change the recipe if you are already making good biscuits...  8)
In some positions, like for the cathode bypass cap in tube circuits, I still use such parallels.

Jakob E.
It is still good practice to use smaller HF caps (ceramic?) in parallel to bypass PS rails.

JR
Visit https://circularscience.com to hear what properly "cleared" drums sound like.