Transformer Cans

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the cans in from Ali Express. Here's the deets.

The big green cans are keepers. A useful size for inputs or outputs. They are made of cast iron and have a hammertone paint job on them that seems durable enough. The walls are about 2 1/4 mm thick and should provide a decent amount of noise attenuation. I still plan to do some tests on the various tapes I bought (still waiting on one roll) and I'll test these as well when I do.

They are large enough to fit an Edcor XSM in them if you bend the solder lugs slightly. You'd also need to remove the channel frame. Wire em up, put some insulating tape around them and pot with a mix of beeswax and carnauba wax and you'd be in business. Easy to mount as they have tapped screw holes on the "lid" at the bottom of the can. Pictures below:

JAbGCStl.jpg

3r5r4ahl.jpg

XgZXVIWl.jpg

HcxglaYl.jpg

dXEHSdal.jpg

iziqHLBl.jpg

2zPp2MEl.jpg

The little mu metal cans I bought in the same order are less useful and I can't see myself getting any more of them. Even though the specs in the listing were accurate, the cans just aren't big enough for most inputs I'd use. I was hoping they would fit the small Edcor nickel inputs, but no joy.

A1UJDcRl.jpg

ouE2jsQl.jpg

ULFAL7xl.jpg

94fYZWYl.jpg

rLvLxcQl.jpg

That's quite nice [the large shield assembly]  ..  the large hammer-paint finish is lovely - it would be nice to try in a small tube build.

These days I really like the 'tube DI' with the psu remoted, just like for a tube mic arrangement.  The shielding on the signal input and out transformers is just mighty icing on the cake.

Thanks for the links!

One possible use for the little mu metal ones above: I confirmed that a pot core ferrite inductor up to size P 26/16 or an RM core up to size RM12 will fit inside with a bit of room to spare. This is with the retaining clips attached and a plastic bobbin taking up space on the bottom of the inductor.

Could probably be used even if soldering ferrite inductors to an EQ/filter PCB. Might have to modify the drill holes on bottom but might not, depending on the bobbin used.

There are smaller cans available that I linked to above that would be more suitable to RM8 and below.

I'm asking for quotation..."I am currently only able to quote for RC 48.9(DIA) and RC 59(DIA).  I would expect prices to be around the same at 32.5 EUR each for 10pcs".
https://magneticshields.co.uk/products-services/deep-drawn-mucans-shielding-cans

lukas said:
I'm asking for quotation..."I am currently only able to quote for RC 48.9(DIA) and RC 59(DIA).  I would expect prices to be around the same at 32.5 EUR each for 10pcs".
https://magneticshields.co.uk/products-services/deep-drawn-mucans-shielding-cans

I would definitely buy at least two of the 59mm diameter cans if we would do a groupbuy.

I will take a few pieces too, for this price, I wrote a question: how many pieces do you need to take to make the price lower ?!
Please take a note:
"Typically for a new tool there is a lead time of approximately 6-8 weeks but normally we can produce hand-made prototypes of a new design in 2-3 weeks to verify the product prior to any tool cost being incurred".

Some one else must write to the magneticshiels...i sometimes talking too much...and, don't writes back to me.

rackmonkey said:
Got the cans in from Ali Express. Here's the deets.

The big green cans are keepers. A useful size for inputs or outputs. They are made of cast iron and have a hammertone paint job on them that seems durable enough. The walls are about 2 1/4 mm thick and should provide a decent amount of noise attenuation. I still plan to do some tests on the various tapes I bought (still waiting on one roll) and I'll test these as well when I do.

They are large enough to fit an Edcor XSM in them if you bend the solder lugs slightly. You'd also need to remove the channel frame. Wire em up, put some insulating tape around them and pot with a mix of beeswax and carnauba wax and you'd be in business. Easy to mount as they have tapped screw holes on the "lid" at the bottom of the can. Pictures below:

JAbGCStl.jpg

3r5r4ahl.jpg

XgZXVIWl.jpg

HcxglaYl.jpg

dXEHSdal.jpg

iziqHLBl.jpg

2zPp2MEl.jpg

The little mu metal cans I bought in the same order are less useful and I can't see myself getting any more of them. Even though the specs in the listing were accurate, the cans just aren't big enough for most inputs I'd use. I was hoping they would fit the small Edcor nickel inputs, but no joy.

A1UJDcRl.jpg

ouE2jsQl.jpg

ULFAL7xl.jpg

94fYZWYl.jpg

rLvLxcQl.jpg

Those green ones look really nice

Back