L.A. 2" 24 track transfers any ideas?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Anyone know of a good place in L.A. to do the following need to take some old 2" 24 track tapes  and make safety copies to a second machine as well as transfer to pro tools. While we could do the transfer to pro tools  at the studio we may need to bake tapes which we do not have the oven to do and we do not have the second 2" to make a copy to.  any suggestions are welcome.

My friend Brian Kehew offers a service transferring from one format to another, most probably 2" to 2" too.
Not exactly sure where his newer place is but he used to be in North Hollywood.

http://www.roundandwound.com
+1 818-856-8701

Edit:. Being able to bake tapes is something he can do and is familiar with as he works a lot with older Warner Bros tapes from the vault.

pucho812 said:
Yes...  8) thanks again mate.

You bet.  I noticed that a pair of RS124 comps I built for him have their meter zero off.  If you feel inclined, maybe adjust that 33r resistor in the cathode circuit for him while you're there 😊

Attachments

• 32116473_1693095327440451_8470742008221138944_o.jpg
    32116473_1693095327440451_8470742008221138944_o.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 28
Winston O'Boogie said:
You bet.  I noticed that a pair of RS124 comps I built for him have their meter zero off.  If you feel inclined, maybe adjust that 33r resistor in the cathode circuit for him while you're there 😊

I will ask him while I am there and see what he prefers I do. I assume 33r is a trim pot...  ;)

You know years ago I borrowed an echoplex from a friend for a recording session.  When I picked it up he said there is something not right about the unit but don't mess with it, I like it that way. 

pucho812 said:
I will ask him while I am there and see what he prefers I do. I assume 33r is a trim pot...  ;)

It's been years since I made them but no, I think it's just a resistor like the originals.  The heaters are AC like the originals too which will change the first tube emission slightly if the line fluctuates.  Also a change of tubes would require re-tweaking that resistor so maybe he swapped them out at some point.  The meters were resting at zero when built so, something changed between now and then. 
I'm not sure he cares about it but it bothers me.  Not my units though 😄

I do think another parallel R across what's there would bring the meters up but...
Anyway, I was only half serious about you tweaking them.  As you say, folks get attached to what a particular unit does and don't necessarily want it being messed with sometimes.

Winston O'Boogie said:
It's been years since I made them but no, I think it's just a resistor like the originals.  The heaters are AC like the originals too which will change the first tube emission slightly if the line fluctuates.  Also a change of tubes would require re-tweaking that resistor so maybe he swapped them out at some point.  The meters were resting at zero when built so, something changed between now and then. 
I'm not sure he cares about it but it bothers me.  Not my units though 😄

I do think another parallel R across what's there would bring the meters up but...
Anyway, I was only half serious about you tweaking them.  As you say, folks get attached to what a particular unit does and don't necessarily want it being messed with sometimes.

I know but now that you pointed it out, it's going to drive me up the wall.  ;D luckily us we are just using a pair of his many tape machines to make safety copies and a pro tools transfer.

pucho812 said:
I know but now that you pointed it out, it's going to drive me up the wall.  ;D luckily us we are just using a pair of his many tape machines to make safety copies and a pro tools transfer.

Just get what you need doing done mate, just don't avert your eyes towards those RS124's. 

Brian's always kept tape machines running (never once saw him use a DAW) and I've been lucky to have heard some pretty rare master tapes being played on them at times. 
He does a lot of work for Warner Brothers and he'll frequently have to pull the masters from the tape vault to look for outtakes or alternate stuff.  Very Early 'Eagles' when the guys are just playing and singing live in the studio is one that I remember being floored by.  Going with him to the vault and having Zeppelin multi-track masters be 2 feet in front of you is pretty surreal too!

He has an original EMI RS61 preamplifier as well as a couple of original Sound Techniques modules I helped him with years ago  which are posdibly worth snagging a picture of.  He used to have a VERY rare EMI BTR-3 stereo machine but I believe Abbey Road may have bought that from him. 
Anyway, if you like tape machines, Brian's your man.

Winston O'Boogie said:
Just get what you need doing done mate, just don't avert your eyes towards those RS124's. 

Brian's always kept tape machines running (never once saw him use a DAW) and I've been lucky to have heard some pretty rare master tapes being played on them at times. 
He does a lot of work for Warner Brothers and he'll frequently have to pull the masters from the tape vault to look for outtakes or alternate stuff.  Very Early 'Eagles' when the guys are just playing and singing live in the studio is one that I remember being floored by.  Going with him to the vault and having Zeppelin multi-track masters be 2 feet in front of you is pretty surreal too!

He has an original EMI RS61 preamplifier as well as a couple of original Sound Techniques modules I helped him with years ago  which are posdibly worth snagging a picture of.  He used to have a VERY rare EMI BTR-3 stereo machine but I believe Abbey Road may have bought that from him. 
Anyway, if you like tape machines, Brian's your man.

indeed he is. We have a single one at the studio, not enough to do safety copies. Plus Brian is just a nice guy.  I have seen is sound techniques modules before.  so this should be fun. I believe he also has a fairlight... cool.

Latest posts

Back