Klein tools

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There’s a couple of YouTube vids showing using a ratcheted band strap tie-down around the tank and setting the ratchet body position - when you turn the bolt there is a timber brace going to the wall from the ratchet head in line with the tangent to the tank face and thus the line of force - all you need is a spreader plate on the flat of the wall between studs so the brace doesn’t punch a hole. Those tie-downs are what are used to tie cars down to tow trucks with a 2” wide strap - if the strap slips you can always run a band of double sided tape around the circumference of the tank under the strap to prevent this.

That sounds easy... 🤔
=====
Yup, I already tried the ratchet strap... but do not have a robust section of wall handy to brace it against.. This sucker is really stuck in there.

This heater is already several years old so I will wait for it to fail... My last one started giving me electrical shocks in the shower... now I have attached a ground wire to the tank, and another to the copper pipes.

JR

Maybe wear a ground-strap in the shower just to be sure 😳😂
Shock me once shame on you, shock me twice shame on me... ;)

My hot water heater is grounded by two different paths. The metal tank is grounded to my fuse panel, and the copper plumbing is separately grounded, so I feel pretty safe.

JR

My hot water heater is grounded by two different paths. The metal tank is grounded to my fuse panel, and the copper plumbing is separately grounded, so I feel pretty safe.

Well... um ... ahem ... Is that really the best approach? I kinda almost believe the NEC requires a common, bonded, single-point grounding scheme; running separate grounds is generally contraindicated. For example, my radio station is bonded to the domestic mains grounding scheme. I would never run a separate ground not bonded to the mains ground scheme. OR, do I misunderstand what youi mean by "separate ground?"

Disclaimer: Of course, I may be totally corn-fused and off base, but the notion of separate grounds sorta, kinda, almost seems a bad idea, remembering what I have read in the NEC, the ARRL Grounding Book, and materials from Lightning Protection Institute (yeah I know there are different types and reasons for grounding different stuff) and I am certainly NO expert, so I merely raise the point as a question, not a statement. Sue me if I am speaking out of turn. :) James

Well... um ... ahem ... Is that really the best approach? I kinda almost believe the NEC requires a common, bonded, single-point grounding scheme; running separate grounds is generally contraindicated. For example, my radio station is bonded to the domestic mains grounding scheme. I would never run a separate ground not bonded to the mains ground scheme. OR, do I misunderstand what youi mean by "separate ground?"

Disclaimer: Of course, I may be totally corn-fused and off base, but the notion of separate grounds sorta, kinda, almost seems a bad idea, remembering what I have read in the NEC, the ARRL Grounding Book, and materials from Lightning Protection Institute (yeah I know there are different types and reasons for grounding different stuff) and I am certainly NO expert, so I merely raise the point as a question, not a statement. Sue me if I am speaking out of turn. :) James
Either one of the two grounds should be protective against a fault like the one I encountered years ago when the heater box rusted through and energized my hot water supply.

My hot water heater is one of the few appliances grounded in my red neck wiring house. I also DIY grounded the GFCI outlet supplying my dishwasher and washing machine.

I had lightning strike a tree about 40' from my bedroom window (loud). It blew a transistor in my crawl space sump pump controller.

JR

NEC "code" is quite clear about bonding "grounds". Utility power, metal water and gas pipelines (and in larger building..... internal metal structures) SHALL be bonded together.

The silly concept of "Well, lets just connect all of the grounding for the studio into a separate grounding rod in the backyard and have no connection to utility ground" is dangerous and NOT "to NEC code".

Bri

Mom's house was like that as well. This little house in Kansas is a mixture of 2 and 3 prong outlets. BUT I know where the grounding rod from Evergy is (below the meter) as well as the bonding into the metal water and gas pipes are.

Bri

We use a MEN System here - (Multiple Earth Neutral). Every outlet is 3 pin - there are no 2 pin outlets. There are 20A outlets that have a larger earth pin, so any equipment rated over 10A with a 20A plug can’t plug into a normal domestic socket.
AS/NZS3000:2018

Every main and sub main board has an earth rod in the ground and earth is connected to neutral at each board.

John...."stuck machine screws" reminds me of several MCI JH-636 desks I used to service. They used 6-32 button hex heads to secure the modules to the frame. I guess the screws became imbedded into the paint on the front panels. Even with "fresh", high quality hex keys the screw heads usually stripped out.

Dremel tool and a thin cutting wheel to create a slot and then use a flat head screwdriver to finally bust the screw loose so the module(s) could be removed. Fred Flintstone service engineering...I hated doing that.

Bri
Did you never try the automatic centre punch technique to shock the screw into loosening a bit. Used at an angle on the edge of the screw in the direction to undo the screw this has been quite effective for me. It's only ever a last resort putting a slot in the top for me.

Latest posts

Back