100-240V in the GSSL (US+EU region)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiamiBoy

How is this possible, to have my soon to be built gSSL with dual region PSU, just like any other professional gear?

Instead of a switch on the back, to choose between 115V and 230V, I would like for this unit to be EU & US voltage friendly all the time.

I don’t know much about power, but is this doable via the power transformer or how is this done?

I couldn’t find any info online, as I don’t know which search to do (the correct term for this function).

If it uses a linear power supply then you will need a switch to connect the primary windings correctly for 115V or 230V mains.

if it uses a SMPS then it can be designed to be 'universal' and hence work on any AC voltage from about 90VAC to 250VAC.

Cheers

Ian

That’s awesome, great info, Ian -thanks.

Looks like the toroidal won’t work for this application.

Is there a downside to using a universal transformer in audio instead of a toroidal?
Sound quality, expense, magnetic interference, noise/distortion?

I’ve heard that toroidal is the way to go for audio appliances, but they’re not universal, according to my research just now.

Toroids are a type of transformer that are often used in linear supplies. They act just like any other transformer; they are just a different shape which spills less stray magnetic field. They are not synonymous with switched mode power supplies (SMPS)

A switch mode power supply (SMPs) may or may not use a toroid transformer. It is not the transformer that is important but the topology. The topology of an SMPS allows it to be designed to work over a wide range of input voltages. The topology of a linear supply only allows it to work over a limited range of voltages (say nominal plus or minus 10%).

To answer your original question: linear and SMPS topologies both produce some interference and leave some ripple on the supplies. As a rough guide, linear supplies create mostly low frequency interference and ripple (mains frequency plus its harmonics). SMPS create mostly high frequency interference and ripple. Propoerly designed, both types can be used for pro audio work.

Cheers

ian

Great stuff Ian, appreciate it.

I’m trying to figure out why all the DIY projects here uses a linear?

After all this great info, I’m not sure whether  to go the smsp way or the linear way with a volt-selector switch.

If it were you, which would you choose for a DIY ssl bus comp, when traveling between us and eu?

Thx.

MiamiBoy said:
Great stuff Ian, appreciate it.

I’m trying to figure out why all the DIY projects here uses a linear?

After all this great info, I’m not sure whether  to go the smsp way or the linear way with a volt-selector switch.

If it were you, which would you choose for a DIY ssl bus comp, when traveling between us and eu?

Thx.

I think the DIY community uses mostly linear because they are straightforward to design. Designing SMPS is much more difficult. For the SSL comp you don't need many voltages or high currents so a linear is very straightforward. However, having said that, there are now some standard output voltage SMPS products becoming available that can be used as a drop in replacement for the linear ones. I think this has been discussed elsewhere in groupDIY so it might be worth a search.

Cheers

Ian

Cheers

Ian
Hey Ian, I'm finally at the point where i build my gSSL.

I wanna install this DPDT voltage switch to my trafo & power ON/OFF switch..

Voltage switch: there's 6 pins:
2A · 2 · 2B
1A · 1 · 1B
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CK/V80212SS05Q?qs=XK7TQRbusgX5Aqa6nOtnfw==
Can you make any sense of this..? I don't quite understand my trafo wirings.

On the The trafo, it says:
Primary: 115V yellow/white 115V or-purple
Sec. I: 15V black-red 1,0 A
Sec. II: 15V or-blue 1,0 A
https://www.don-audio.com/GSSL-Audio-Toroidal-Transformer-Prim-2-x-115-Sec-2-x-15v-Center-tap
https://www.don-audio.com/IEC-iec-power-jack-chassis-mount-with-10a-fuse-holder-switch-DFS-Clip

Attachments

• power.jpg
    power.jpg
    847.3 KB · Views: 0
  • powerBack.jpg
    powerBack.jpg
    916.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Switch.jpg
    Switch.jpg
    833.1 KB · Views: 0
  • SwitchBack.jpg
    SwitchBack.jpg