DBX front panel question :)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomasdf

GDIY Supporter
Hi all

So I have this weird question, does anybody here knows what are the old DBX front panels made of ? Talking about the DBX 117, 118, 160 etc

My guess is anodized aluminium. Can anybody comment / confirm ?

Thanks a lot

thomas

1 mm thick natural anodized aluminium sheet, inserted into universal frame, black paint on sheet with inverted film, IMO.

thomasdf said:
Thanks ! Is it possible to silk screen and then anodize? The writings seem very very very thin, almost in the surface. Or is there some sort of lacquer afterwards ?
Anodizing comes first usually. Ink prevents anodizing, so there would be no advantage because the ink would still be exposed. There have been attempts at creating selective anodizing, by silk-screening a protective vanish (in negative) followed by dark anodizing, then the varnish was dissolved and clearer anodizing was made. It was found too labour intensive for a mitigated result. If the metal has been brushed adequately, the ink will stay durably; I believe the old inks are not used anymore, only the very durable epoxy ones, and now the UV cured ones.

Back