An interesting compressor design

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matta

Hey Guys,

I stumbled across a review (Sound on Sound) for a product by ART called the TCS. I think the idea is ingenious!

The jist is that is has a dual topology consisting on both a VCA (THAT 2180) and Opto (Vactrol) and you can use either or, or blend the 2 together.

The mag showed a shot on the insides, hence me knowing that the VCA is a THAT and the Opto is a Vactrol (which is really a sign that I am actually learning something, 6 months ago I would have just said... loads af funny electronic things). The resistors are 5%, but the opamps seem to be STI and Phillips, so pretty decent, plus the board design looks glorious...

The unit is 1U and contains 2 of these hybrid comps, plus you can link them for stereo applications. It also has a desser, gate, limiter, VU meters for gain reduction plus LED in/out metering, oh and as an added extra there is a 12AX7 tube that can be switched in to add some color.

This box seems to retails for around $240! How do they do it?

I have no idea what it sounds like but I think for that price it might be pretty useful, a lot of people tout the value in something like the RNC (which as far as I know is DSP driven) but this box seems to add so much more for the money.

Has anyone tried this little box, or has access to one? I would love to see more of the insides and also maybe a schemo.

What do you guys think, if nothing else I think the idea is pretty cool.

Cheers

Matt

[quote author="matta"]Hey Guys,

The mag showed a shot on the insides, hence me knowing that the VCA is a THAT and the Opto is a Vactrol (which is really a sign that I am actually learning something, 6 months ago I would have just said... loads af funny electronic things). ...

This box seems to retails for around $240! How do they do it?...

[/quote]

That's good to hear matta---that's a lot of progress in six months!

As far as how do they do it---well, maybe they won't for long. Sounds like a price that is not sustainable. But I wish them well!

Hi Bcarso,

Thanks, I sure have learnt way more that I thought I would, esp in 6 months, I have built 4 Green Pres, a handful of PSU, a Neve Driver and about to wrap up my Calrec.

I've made a conscious effort to not just paint by numbers but try and learn the 'how's and why's about each project to better my knowledge, and it is paying off I think.

Back to the ART, I would love to know hoe it holds out in a real world scenario, we can't get them here in Africa so it is not like I can even apro one to see, which sucks... oh well.

Cheers

Matt

Back