Trident Series 65

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradb

Hello everyone..

I've been shopping around for a console to pair with my 002R and lots of outboard comps, efx to do mixing. I already have a great deal of pres (SCA, Hamptone, Sytek) and don't need a console for tracking/pres, what I do need is good summing, EQ and effects sends and groups.

An old trident series 65, 16x8x2 console has come up. its got some problems, apparently the supply is blowing fuses upon power up and maybe one of the modules is causing this. other than this problem it has been described as in excellent shape and not very used. I can check it out before purchasing.

I'm handy with the soldering iron and I don't mind doing work to get this console up and running IF it was at the right price and once the work was done, it turned out to be a worthy console.

Whats a good price for this thing?

I've read bits and pieces about mods to the ICs etc... whats the deal, is there someone out there who's do it? a series 65 guru?

How is the EQ, usable, musical, bad?

Can I replace the original power supply with something beefier out-of-the-box from digikey?

Thank you all!

Update:
Jim Williams has recommended elsewhere some Power One power supplies from digikey that I would most likely go with.. Probably dilly-dally on the 48V as I won't be using this for tracking...

Other questions still remain!
EQ, Price, mods?

thanks!

[quote author="bradb"]Update:
Jim Williams has recommended elsewhere some Power One power supplies[/quote]
:shock: :?

I haven't heard a 65 but I have used a few of its superiors and I will warn that you should expect it to impose a definite color/character on everything. This won't necessarily be a pleasant color - depends on your taste.

brad-

Id consider looking for a used acopian supply on ebay instead of a power one. You can usually find them used for less than a new power one and they are WAAAAAAAAAY better supplies. Ive bought them new for $300 and used for $20 and have had good luck so far with second hand supplies. just run them for a few days to make sure they are putting out the right voltage and you should be fine.

dave

I owned one for a while, though I never used it, I just refurbed it and sold it. It's very straightforward, easy to fix. I guess I'd describe it as an entry-level professional console - better than a Mackie 8-bus, but nowhere near an 80B. They have TL072s everywhere, Molex connectors that have to be cleaned and resoldered to the boards, IIRC series-parallel "festoon" meter lights that are soldered in and are a pain to replace. There was a guy who had spare switches and pots, but I think he discontinued carrying them, so they could be difficult to find.

As far as sound is concerned you'd really need to try it out and see if you like it. It's definitely not crap, just a matter of preference.

Bradb,

The series-65 (same as series-75) have active/electronically balanced (transformerless) mike input, and start with transistors as a front end input amp.

Line input and the mostly of outputs are also electronically balanced, but insert send/return are not balanced.

The equalizer have same design as the Trimix and series-70 consoles, and near same design as the famous series-80.

Also the mix-amp circuit "the two step design" is same as in bigger Trident consoles, but the rest of the console design are very unlike the bigger consoles.

The powersupply have four voltage rails, + and - 18 volt for audio, 5 volt for logic and of course 48 volt for phantom power.

The usual problem and fault on this consoles are:
1. Earth/ground system, cause hum/buzz and self oscillation.
2. Mute and solo system, problem with the CMOS switch "realys"
3. Power supply, that have a very weak construction.

The series 65/75 consoles are good for the money, and have a lot of features, and have also a nice look, but they sounds not as a "real Trident console"

--Bo

I went to check out the console with a friend last night. The thing will need some work, which I'm not worried about. its just that after you put the work in.. do you end up with a worthy piece? maybe not. I think I'm going to keep on looking.

thanks guys.

bb

its just that after you put the work in.. do you end up with a worthy piece?

That's really the hard question. Monetarily it's unlikely that you'll ever get back the money you put in. If it works well for you musically and creatively it could be a good value.

Have to agree that mic-amps not up to 80b/trimix/TSM. I didn;t realise that they didn't have trannys - makes sense to me now. EQ is simple, but great IMHO, and similar in sound to(but more comprehensive than) Trimix(which i love. . . . Mix-bus must be similar to trimix, 'cos they both give me the same impression. I personlly think that a 65/75 is an unsung bargain for a small stuido. Loadsa inputs, reasonable features, cool eq, relatively well made, cheap to maintain, not too big,not too small! - and beautiful - wooden end cheeks!(Trimix looks way cooler, tho'). Most people round here have alternative mic-amps, so no real problem there.

If only Tofty had built an in-line version, - but that is another story for another day!

top of my list for my ideal home studio, unless I can get an SSL E-series for the same price. (and yes, i DO know they are very different!)

ANdyP

Latest posts

Back