Mackie 328 plus Outboard hybrid workflow

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there,
Hope this one goes to the correct group, otherwise feel free to move or prompt to repost at the correct one.
So, I got what I think is quite the bargain:
Mackie 328
Two Presonus Firepods
Warm Audio Buss Comp
Warm Audio TB12
TC Electronic M100
All together at about the price of the bus comp.
Checked all pre's, line ins-outs, tape ins, aux's etc etc all work, no scratches no anything.
I used a sine wave at 1k, 0db with Cubase test generator at -10dbfs (firepod ref scale is 0dbfs=10db) and,with some gain tweaking,Mackie channels register 0db at main mix LED and VU meter.
However, when sending same sine to 2-track & ext. input I get a reading of about -7 less on the console.
I suppose that this has to do with the fact that I have mixed bal. & unbal connections.
Mackie all jacks are unbal except for tape ins and main out.
Presonus, Warm audio and MX100 all outs balanced.
Can someone help me how to set up the rig in the best way? Perhaps some kind of line converter must be placed either or both from console to DAW or from DAW to console?
Should I perform any tests for calibration or some polymeter measurements?
I can now record up to 16 channels simultaneously from Mackie to daw and use the TB12 and Mackie as pre's and EQ, and use the cards' outs back in the consile for monitoring and/or additional mixing with the EQ, comp etc etc.
P.S. I know that the Mackie is quite old, and perhaps I could live without it but I like the vibe of having an analogue console in front, plus to my ears, it delivers (so, no Mackie ditching 😂).
Sorry for long post, hope someone can come up with some vital information.
Love

Back