¿ceramic electrolytics for opamp supply bypass?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAY X

Hi!

Now i realize that only 2 10-100 nf caps to gnd for every opamp (MC33078) is not enough.  In my design i have 18 opamps, 4 balanced line drivers and 2 differential receivers. Besides, four 24v relays... and that's all... ;D  My toroidal is 30VA, and supply current is about 300ma.

I think i should place  an electrolytic (10uf) in parallel to gnd  as for fast supply demands..transients.... The problem is that i have not much space to place smd electros  but enough to place ceramic 1206 electrolytics. ¿ are ceramic electrolitycs good enough? (murata MLCC 10uf 20%). RS 885-1890.

Another improvement would be to place at the supply input point of the audio board two 470uf electrolitycs, to act as reservoir caps... The psu is on a separate board.

Thank you for your help!

jay x

JAY X said:
Now i realize that only 2 10-100 nf caps to gnd for every opamp (MC33078) is not enough. 
Really? What makes you think so?

I think i should place  an electrolytic (10uf) in parallel to gnd  as for fast supply demands..transients....
You need to do that only once for the whole board; the value of this electrolytic must be done in accordance with the number of opamps, load constraints,..., so you may have to experiment. You don't need the same value for a line level stage driving 10kohm than for a headphones amp.

The problem is that i have not much space to place smd electros  but enough to place ceramic 1206 electrolytics. ¿ are ceramic electrolitycs good enough? (murata MLCC 10uf 20%). RS 885-1890.
There is nothing like a ceramic electrolytic; these are multilayer ceramic. They are not a proper substitute for electrolytics; their ESR is much lower than that of electrolytics, which can result in significant resonance between them and the PCB trace inductance.

[/quote] Another improvement would be to place at the supply input point of the audio board two 470uf electrolitycs, to act as reservoir caps... [/quote] That's really what you should have done from the beginning. That may very well be the reason you think the small ceramics at each opamp are not sufficient.

Hi Abbey!

Thank you  very much!!.  your answers always put light on my  doubts. Yesterday i placed two 470uf caps at the entry of the supply rails, and this morning finished the wiring... because i changed the ac switch...there is a difference.... really!!  More punchy... tomorrow i'm going to a studio to do some tests.... :)

Jay x!

JAY X said:
Hi Abbey!

Thank you  very much!!.  your answers always put light on my  doubts. Yesterday i placed two 470uf caps at the entry of the supply rails, and this morning finished the wiring... because i changed the ac switch...there is a difference.... really!! 
Aah! the sound of the mains switch...

Back