1 mic recording.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoutvat

What is the best way to record a guitar, using just 1 microphone and still get a natural, open and spacious sounding result? Up till now I doubled the recorded track and let a number of plugins do their work (with varying results).

Depends on the player, the guitar (you don’t even say what type), the room and the mic.
Experiment ! No one will ever be able to you on a forum.
Record and compare, and redo it until you are happy.

What is the best way to record a guitar, using just 1 microphone and still get a natural, open and spacious sounding result? Up till now I doubled the recorded track and let a number of plugins do their work (with varying results).
You might try a little 'world-izing'.

Playback the track on a loudspeaker placed in a relatively live room, then send only that track to the FX before mixing with original.

Phasing "issues" are not all bad. It is the time of arrival difference to our ears which creates a sense of size and depth. Recording with one microphone is fine, but you might want to add some delays or reverb (again, time-of-arrival differences) to give your guitar a sense of size and space, otherwise it might just sound like a guitar in a bedroom...

As to placement, there are many options for acoustic guitar. Three of the popular ones are: 1) mic pointed at the 12th to 14th fret (and a distance from the instrument of a few inches to 1 foot or two); 2) Placed about 6" to 1' over the right shoulder (shoulder of the strumming hand), facing down towards the bridge. 3) 1 to 2' away from the lower bout, aiming at the bridge. All these techniques have "a sound" and advantages/disadvantages. And they may require a bit of EQ to make the sound optimum.

Pardon me if this sound preachy as I don't mean it that way: A guitar is an "acoustic" instrument and as such the sound needs space to bloom. Be careful how close the mic is and don't record in a small room.

Back