What kind of microphone is Big Joe Turner using in this video?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There have been other mics which have come with a disc (notably Schoeps). I believe it is to help the cardioid pattern.
Yes, the M221 also has these disks, but we never used them back then, it looked kind of funny. The M221s were the workhorses in a studio where I had my first experiences. Incredible microphone, I once owned one myself (in the Telefunken incarnation) but then sold it in a state of mental derangement. However, it has to be said that the maintenance for these microphones is not exactly cheap due to the AC701.

At the end, the camera moves backwards, but you can't see another microphone. Did the entire recording go through the Altec 633a? Maybe the guys had one or two microphones hanging from above that we can't see? Interesting.

Very large rolling boom with a ribbon mic was a common thing back in the days, for instance with a KU3A, on TV and cine sets
Most likely this is the case here, and / or maybe a few mics hanging from the top grill, out of the camera's angle.
But I doubt much more than 2 or 3 in total :)

Back