1073 Inductor insulation/heatshrink?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MathCantin

Hello all!
I'm trying to get as much info as possible to build myself 2 1073 modules in their 80 series format. I was able to find a lot of info but there's still some things that I just can't find.
I've seen on the modules of various companies (AMS, BAE, vintage Neves) that they put on the inductors some sort of rubber cap. It looks like this:

IMG_7517.jpg

Does anybody know what it is called? Or where I can buy some? The closest I was able to find was this. Is it really just that? :) Thank you in advance!

Little bonus: I'm making a 3D model of the whole interior of the 1073 module with every single parts inside to use as a reference. I'll share the (many) pictures when it's done so it can help everyone crazy passionate enough to build an original 1073. Here's a WIP picture.

1073_3d.jpg

Alright so I ordered those on amazon. They are basically 28mm rubber caps for pipes.

They're a bit too long but after trimming them they look like this:
369865522_832811201932149_90490816660481284_n.jpg

Modified one with an unmodified one beside:
398331321_850020513790368_2439802395599812022_n.jpg

Just be carefull because they come straight from the factory and they still have oil on them.
Idealy they would be thinner but I'd still call this one a success! :cool:
Cheers

Since I'm also building some 1084's I ordered the same pipe ends (or whatever they are called). I'm fortunate to have an AMS-Neve 1073 here to play with (friend is building his new studio) and pulled out the 182 card to check the black thingy that AMS-Neve uses. It's pretty much the same thing as above, only difference is that it seems to be about 0.1mm thinner and it's not as shiny. If you look at the picture you can see where they had to cut the thing to size.

Wonder if the dullness gives it the warmth......

The one of the right came off the AMS-Neve.

Attachments

• Pipe End 3 Quarter.jpg
    Pipe End 3 Quarter.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Pipe Caps Side.jpg
    Pipe Caps Side.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This is precious knowledge thank you for sharing!

For the dullness, I think it might be a slightly different material they used? As long as it isolate the inductors from the other cards I think we're safe :)

Since I'm also building some 1084's I ordered the same pipe ends (or whatever they are called). I'm fortunate to have an AMS-Neve 1073 here to play with (friend is building his new studio) and pulled out the 182 card to check the black thingy that AMS-Neve uses. It's pretty much the same thing as above, only difference is that it seems to be about 0.1mm thinner and it's not as shiny. If you look at the picture you can see where they had to cut the thing to size.

Wonder if the dullness gives it the warmth......

The one of the right came off the AMS-Neve.

Latest posts

Back