1081 -2009 REMIX project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SIXTYNINER

this is a neve 1081 restart diy project thread
anyone have info as:
tech specs / info / story /
bom lists (with no errors)
parts sypplyers / resources
parts replacement (seen that is a vintage )
and other about
are wellcome!!!!

;)

6T9R

Hi 6T9R , is this a build thread??I'm actually startin mine , but I've more questions than informations...
thanks.

Good luck guys. I recently finished mine (after i guess around 4-5 years) and i built quite some gear but this was the most difficult of them all.
Anyway all the informations you need is out there. The original documentation has some errors. You'll find many corrections in the official AMS Neve
documentation.
Be prepared to do much reading. There is a reason why not many finished units turned up until now although this project is pretty old.
This ain't a newbie project so be sure to have some projects under your belt and know what you are doing.

Flo

Thanks Flo , not really encouraging but ... I'll try! :p
Personnaly I've rev2 of those red pcbs , actually reading Frank's (NRG Recording) thread.Do you know some "official" mods comparing to the PDF of rev2??

Hey Rednoise, sorry for not sound encouraging. I am just not a fan of telling people that it will be easy and everyone can easily do one of those when in reality it's a difficult project.
It is doable but difficult. Be prepared to do much work / thinking yourself as i don't think there will be many people taking your hand and guide you through this like it's with most projects here.
I think the single most important document is Frank's Rev.7 overlay pdf. He transferred many (if not all) corrections for the parts on all pcb's (the main as well as all the daughter boards). Many thanks go to him for doing so much work. With this you should be on your way. Wiring the switches however is also not easy.

Flo

No worries Flo , it was just a bit of humor.For sure (as I do not see so many finished 81s here) it looks like a difficult project.I'm pretty sure some will pop up in the near future as there's a huge GB pending.A few monthes ago I bought a set with "just pre" wired , stuffed and working , this will help me for starting!
hummm...Frank rev7?I'll dig it !Or maybe you have it ?  ;D
Thanks for your answers Flo!

Well when i bought my pcb's in the first run several years ago there were also many people buying those pcb's, yet i don't remember even 10 finished units have turned up.
I don't think it will be much different with the newest groupbuy.
You can find frank's rev 7 overlay on his 1081 project page on his main homepage. (right on the top)

Flo

Hello,

I'm currently doing the 1081 Diy, i have a question regarding 2 resistors from the rev 7 : R20 and R 21.
The resistors are connected between P4 and P7.  And i do not find such resistors on Neve schematics.

Why did you add such resistor ? what are their purpose ?

Thank you for your answer.

Best regards

Ephrem

As one who's actually finished this project I highly recommend religiously following the AMS Neve docs, especially when dealing with the switches.  On the plus side, this is easily the best pre I have and sounds absolutely killer.  Keep at it.

Steve

For those guys looking to build a 1081 project...
Theres a project in the works....looks nice and good sounding..
More to come soon!!!

Jorge.

With the recent shipments taking flight today and later this week, I think there will be a few more of these getting done finally.

I'll find my version 7 cheat sheet, because I have some comments on it and Ive been pretty deep in the project myself.

Kaz

Ephrem said:
Hello,

I'm currently doing the 1081 Diy, i have a question regarding 2 resistors from the rev 7 : R20 and R 21.
The resistors are connected between P4 and P7.  And i do not find such resistors on Neve schematics.

Why did you add such resistor ? what are their purpose ?

Thank you for your answer.

Best regards

Ephrem

What are you doing about the cumulative shorting switches?

On my 1081 builds, I have cheap switches which are not cumulative shorting.

I am recalculating the capacitor values to be 'cumulative' for each successive position.

The values are added - this agrees with the chineve1081 (tnc) schematic which take a similar approach.

Cheap and nasty : that is, a cheap solution to a nasty problem.

Hello,

About the output transformer, the rev 7 indicates 1K resistor and 100 nF between pin 5 and pin 8. Also there is a 100 Ohms resistor between pin 2 and pin 4.

After looking on the AMS schematics, it seems there is a 470 Ohms resistor between pin 2 and pin 4. And between pin 5 and Pin 8, there are 470 ohms resistor and a capacitor where the value is difficult to read  :'(.

Do you know this capacitor value ?

Regards

Ephrem

3nity said:
For those guys looking to build a 1081 project...
Theres a project in the works....looks nice and good sounding..
More to come soon!!!

Jorge.
Hello 3nity
nice news if you mean a new version of x81 pre-eq
please keep me in your news mailing list about,
and,
for all x81 "builders"
keep in mind that neve have made a new version of 1081 pcbs
for use new components version , for example : bc184L
;)

note :
also exist an old special version of x81 called GOLD LABEL
and it is a bit different from the standard x81 ,
6T9R

ps
i'll be happy to know why , who have made the red x81 pcb version and bom list,
have made errors ,
and,
where have found x81 original docs and what exact version it is (year and rev code)
WHEN YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING , DO IT WELL !!
OR DON'T DO IT!!!

Latest posts

Back