1176 - the cannibalization continues!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JohnRoberts said:
JR

PS: A bunch of  the original PC/mac computer interface innovation was done by Xerox/PARC years earlier.

I well remember learning about WIMP being invented at Xerox sometime in the 70s I think.

Cheers

Ian

fum said:
In reply to Pucho's rant.  And not necessarily directed at Pucho.... :D

It's easy to see nothing but clones, but there are a bunch of good guys out there pluggin away at creating original designs.

There will always be people who are only around trying to cash in on the cheap, flavour of the month product, and there appears to be an insatiable appetite for cheap sh*t, unfortunately.

I honestly try to focus on the work in front of me, and not get sidetracked by this stuff, but you can't help but see it sometimes.

I see the guys doing real design, putting in the hard work trying to get small companies off the ground, and I do my damnedest to try and help them succeed in any way I can.

The companies doing original work are not getting the attention they deserve.  So rather than complain about clones ( which is lending your energy/attention to it, and drawing other people to look at it as well), start threads talking about those companies whose products are deserving of your attention.

You'll not only feel good talking about products you believe in, you'll be helping the company as well, as most of these guys have scruples and will not talk about themselves (or pay shills to do it for them).

$.02

ju

I know what you mean, it was a bit of a generalization but clones are more prevalent then fresh ideas or so it seems. I love my shinny box mics though so rock on.

People believe classic or high quality gear to give them an advantage, and where the value, or merely price
is good they are able to do it . It may be a diversion from the actual work or process and maybe just dreaming.
there is less buyers remorse in the cheap stuff and if nothing comes to fruition they may realize that it wouldn't have
mattered what they got, so possibly a cheaper lesson learned................or not .

some with a little more skill and abilities can more appreciate  " honest good gear '' they maybe be willing to pay for it,
or just as likely not need it.  Certainly allot of business's have been springboarded from group buys here and though,
while good value may still not be inexpensive . Could one pick a number where cloning is o.k. then not ?  the 3rd version of
api pre ? the 5th ?  I would guess , quality , marketing , endorsement and the normal business would shake the chaff from the wheat
Good luck to anyone trying to sell anything these days, I can see how some would jump at opportunities that appears good
[ perceived product market ]

I do appreciate the point of staying on the positive side and celebrating good interesting & useful products  [ personally
speaking NOT made in china ]  Like songs though, is anything new ?

I enjoy doing things that haven't been done before...  Otherwise It's pretty boring.

I recall in a thread elsewhere in this forum a year or more ago, about a dynamics processor where the OP clearly resisted my suggestions for ways that could (perhaps) take the processor up a notch by doing something differently that hadn't been done before (AFAIK). He appeared to just want a "same as" XYZ for DIY costs, without the drama of invention. 

I suspect the guys who really are inventing new stuff, don't show their latest work on a public forum. I know i don't  8)

JR

Now the GS thread has the manufacturer claiming he got the T-pads for $1.50 each, ordering 1000 of them.  Somehow it's hard to imagine that being a great quality part, considering what we all had to pay for the Clarostat T's back in the group buy era, and what we pay now with CAPI and Hairball having them regularly stocked.  I assume they are still sharing orders to keep costs lower. 

As usual, define 'functional equivalent' for yourself. 

emrr said:
Now the GS thread has the manufacturer claiming he got the T-pads for $1.50 each, ordering 1000 of them.  Somehow it's hard to imagine that being a great quality part, considering what we all had to pay for the Clarostat T's back in the group buy era, and what we pay now with CAPI and Hairball having them regularly stocked.  I assume they are still sharing orders to keep costs lower. 

As usual, define 'functional equivalent' for yourself.

I can believe that he got t-pads from china for 1.50 each but what is his markup in a final sold version? buy in bulk and you save but will he recoup the manufacturing costs?

I've watched with dismay as people building things based upon my board designs strew posts across the forum without regard to general protocols. Almost invariably their questions could easily be answered by looking at the wealth of available information on my and other's sites or indeed by looking at information already contained here on this forum. Other questions make it clear they have disregarded the minimum skill set listed on my site and in my guides.

While I'm happy that Mike has made it easier for us to get some difficult-to-source parts I'm not so sure about the idea of full kits that make it too easy for someone who just has a credit card and no or few electronic skills. At least before you had to do some research to source all the parts which meant at least a cursory understanding of electronics or the gradual development of such knowledge.

Personally, I would welcome anything that would draw people who simply want a "cheap 1176" away from attempting to build one without the necessary skills. For the rest of us who do it to increase our knowledge, to improve upon the existing design, experiment with the best parts or who simply want the pleasure of saying "I did it myself" and have what it takes to do it there is still DIY. I'm sure the two can comfortably co-exist.

Back