1176 VU meters on ebay!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scenaria

grab while you can

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15199&item=3776885479&rd=1

you will still need to locate the bezel..

Yes that fits. I got the exact same meters from this seller for mine, and those bezels from surplussales of nebraska. Looks good in mine, and with better illumination opyions than the original.

only drawback: the mechanical zero is hidden when bezel-mounted...

ask me if I think it's a problem?

-Why, how good of you to ask... -No.

Keith

Keith, thanks for the information! :thumb:
I think I'll paint the bezel complete in black colour, the ones from surplussales is black/silver i think.
Too bad that the packet with switch banks and knobs for 1700€ from purple*audio is lost :? otherwise I could just start with the ureis.

Frank.

Nebraska surplus sales Bezel seems really different from the original one, and it's seems different from the one Keef has used in his bloo 1176 twins...

Maybe the pic on the NSS is wrong... dunno...

Keef help us ! :shock:

I've got a MCI Jh24 that I was thinking about using for parts, can those meters be used in an 1176 project?

I just jumped and bought two of these (I was going to buy a simple VU meter from RS today, but bought these ebay meters instead.)

Can I mount these from the rear of the frontpanel, or will I really need that bezel?

JH.

[quote author="Neeno"]Nebraska surplus sales Bezel seems really different from the original one, and it's seems different from the one Keef has used in his bloo 1176 twins...

Maybe the pic on the NSS is wrong... dunno...

Keef help us ! :shock:[/quote]

nope. This bezel:
srs-m10001.jpg

Fits this meter:
6b_1.JPG

One tiny detail: The bezel picture shows it upside down. There is a slight 'step' in the bezel which lines up with the 'step' in the front of the meter, just below the 'window'. In the bezel picture, the step is just visible in the top right hand corner of the inside of the bezel.

Oh, and Frank,

The silver is painted on. -It comes off with paint thinner. I left it on, but might wipe it off. My friend bought one and wiped off the silver.

Also, David (the guy selling the meters on eBay) is a great seller. A fellow Brit, relocated to California, who loves tearing into big analog machines... (yum!) -If anyone needs any Ampex parts at the moment, he's parting out a machine and needs to get some cash from it, so if you need two channel cards for a future DIY ½" 2-track or anything like that, he's the man. :thumb:

Keith

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone ever tried applying the LM3915 LED meters to this compressor? or the SSL or LA2A?

(could save a bundle on meters)

Yes.

The unit feels completely different. Also the seven LEDs that light up in gain reduction mode (the top three "in the red" are unused in GR) means that you have lousy resolution.

Also, calibrating the unit is next to impossible. The GR display setting has a habit of drifting with temperature, so on warm-up and on hot/cold days the unit reads higher or lower. Only a needle alerts you to this.

I say don't do it. In addition, the meter is passive and galvanically isolated when reading the output. Another reason not to pursue this approach in my way of thinking.

One detial that I remembered with these VU meters with the Moduted Bezel, you have to black out a small section (about 7mm) below the meter window, either with a sharpie or some black electrical tape... you don't have to of course, but it looks good if you do.

Keith

[quote author="SSLtech"]
One detial that I remembered with these VU meters with the Moduted Bezel, you have to black out a small section (about 7mm) below the meter window, either with a sharpie or some black electrical tape... you don't have to of course, but it looks good if you do.

Keith[/quote]
Why ? :shock:

Only that the original meter had a black bottom half and this one has the same movement in a completely clear case... so a quick swipe with a sharpie and/or some electrical tape makes everything look great. -It's what I did...

Keith

I've got a MCI Jh24 that I was thinking about using for parts, can those meters be used in an 1176 project?

Back