2" Tape 16 track help?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No good. Sucks that you now might have more problems like this lurking around... maybe a "tech" messing up? Looks like the wires going to the rectifier is a bit melted, which would indicate that someone might've worked around/on the rectifier.
Yea there's a lot of slipshod craftsmanship under that whole PSU...I tend to squint at that stuff because I am not the neatest wiring guy, but it feels a bit like someone was out of their wheelhouse somewhat which is odd considering how robust the actual spec/design is...the little piece of black tape and wire color change may indicate that like me, someone was working without a schematic.

I do know enough to know that Bouse was involved in Aerospace type machining and used a "tape run" CNC machine at one point that became the key asset in a lawsuit...maybe lack of documentation was part of why they never sold any.

I was going to say that you could rebuild the PSU from scratch with modern components and a more sensible layout, but without any documentation that, too, is a very difficult task to undertake.

Interesting story about Bouse. I had no idea.

I was going to say that you could rebuild the PSU from scratch with modern components and a more sensible layout, but without any documentation that, too, is a very difficult task to undertake.

Interesting story about Bouse. I had no idea.
I've thought about that and am part way there already...my next step is documenting where all the wire bus contact points veer off to...which means tracing wires through out the machine and to their end points.

I was hoping to get an honest summary of what the voltages were on the bus strips...I really only need a handful...this should give me an idea as to what kind of current is being demanded by the different cards/and what is driving BiasAmp/Motors etc...

From my research ALL of the machines were pre-wired for 24 track, this one has all the cards for 24 but the tape heads are only for 16 track...so obviously the power supplies are going to be designed for 24 audio cards/etc.

To be honest I don't think there is anything wrong with the design of the power supply other than the most glaring absence of a schematic for trouble-shooting...granted the parts they used being Mil-Spec are a bit over-rated but I remind myself it was built by Aerospace guys in the 1970's...overkill is normal there.

Latest posts

Back