500 series Level-Loc project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah!, ok then!, because i will use a TO92 9v regulator to power it, and it supplies a max of 100ma.

Thanks a lot!

Jay x

Hi!

I have a question, In this build, the 50k log gain pot gnd is connected directly to gnd, but in other builds, the gnd of the pot is connected to gnd through a resistor of 2k2 or 3k. ¿why?

Ive got a couple questions, if someone smarter than me cares to chime in:

working of the schematic on page 1:

-if I wanted to add a simple hpf to the side-chain input, would that be as simple as changing the value of C11? am i way off?

-If i am intending to occasionally bypass the compressor and use the amplifier only, would disconnecting that same C11 via a switch do that in an acceptable way?

-what would be the most efficient way to add an LED that shows when gain reduction is occurring?

Attachments

• 15350-c0810dff594ae9142fb64fe9f3992eb5.gif
    15350-c0810dff594ae9142fb64fe9f3992eb5.gif
    66.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
-if I wanted to add a simple hpf to the side-chain input, would that be as simple as adding a cap in parallel with C11? am i way off?
I think the input to the sidechain is C10. (C11 is heading toward UB-RET, which is the wet signal). I would look at reducing C10 to HPF the sidechain input. C10 and R28 form a HPF with the corner freq at 1/(2*PI*RC). Best way to do this is find the size cap you need for the HPF 'on' and install it for C10, then add a large cap in parallel with a switch to turn the HPF 'off'.
-If i am intending to occasionally bypass the compressor and use the amplifier only, would disconnecting that same C11 via a switch do that in an acceptable way?
Look at how the 1176 does this, with the switch on the attack pot. The input to the sidechain, capacitor C10, is grounded. You would not want to ground the junction (i.e. C9 R19) just disconnect C10 from that junction and connect to ground with a SPDT.
-what would be the most efficient way to add an LED that shows when gain reduction is occurring?
You could add a GR meter the way the 1176 does by having a second FET, matching Q1, that drives a meter circuit.

I think the input to the sidechain is C10. (C11 is heading toward UB-RET, which is the wet signal). I would look at reducing C10 to HPF the sidechain input. C10 and R28 form a HPF with the corner freq at 1/(2*PI*RC). Best way to do this is find the size cap you need for the HPF 'on' and install it for C10, then add a large cap in parallel with a switch to turn the HPF 'off'.
I just realized i was working off the older sherlock schematic, and not the one in this thread, looking at the sherlock scheme and its C11 is the C10 in this 500 series version, so it seems im on the right track, excellent.

Look at how the 1176 does this, with the switch on the attack pot. The input to the sidechain, capacitor C10, is grounded. You would not want to ground the junction (i.e. C9 R19) just disconnect C10 from that junction and connect to ground with a SPDT.
this makes sense, thank you.

You could add a GR meter the way the 1176 does by having a second FET, matching Q1, that drives a meter circuit.
this could work nicely, assuming it isnt overly complex to get the FET to drive the LED

Last edited:
If you just want a LED to turn on when the unit is compressing, use the sidechain voltage to trigger a LED above a certain threshold. Do a search for "comparator LED circuit".

If you just want a LED to turn on when the unit is compressing, use the sidechain voltage to trigger a LED above a certain threshold. Do a search for "comparator LED circuit".
now we're cookin, ill look into this- thank you!

OK, this simple circuit from Rod Elliot seems like a good candidate to do what i need but i have another stupid question- will this require a separate FET like in the 1176, or can i get by with only the one?

Latest posts

Back