51X PSU Cartridge

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Allright little update, it's been a while now, so here is a long post for who could be interested:

I had an issue with the Toroidal you've seen on previous pics, while all was working good, i lost a voltage after a while, without any load attached....
So after checking things i found out that the winding of the secondary voltage that i lost was broken, faulty toroidal, the first company took care of this, but meanwhile i got myself another one, but from a different company that does "Audio" type ones, custom from one to whatever, at a fairly nice price, i know you'll say "why bother with having another Toroidal?" Well because "a good Toroidal" can take a lot of problems away.....
except for the shipping for only one Toroidal was a little steep, but wanted one going with some specification i wanted, like stranded wires, wire disposition etc..... The spare Toroidal will anyway be used in the future....

Did one revision of the boards, i was not very happy with them, had one small mechanical prob, but redid them mainly because wanted to mod a couple of things on the circuit and i wanted to use some different kind of connectors, I had used KK type Molex connector on the first boards, and i decided to change and use some other type ones that are more sturdy when fitted and that would take a little bit more heat and that can handle up to 20AWG Wires, and so i choosed Micro Fit 3.0 for Secondary and DC connections and Vreg, and Mini Fit JR connector for the Mains board, all Molex brand types.
They are nice connectors a little more expensive than normal KK ones, and as always, if you hate crimping than this will not help you out, the Micro Fit 3.0 are tiny and they all have locking pins that won't be able to take the cable out without the special tool (14Euros) as opposed to KK one that are easy to pull ou with a simple screwdriver.
On the Micro Fit 3.0, for testing purpose i tried to pull them out breaking the locking pins, one time won't harm the socket much when i tested it, but better check twice for where to insert the cable, takes that away.
And i solder all wired to the crimping connectors, i usually always do that, that also help to pulled the wire out if done a mistake on these connectors, not leaving the crimping connector inside....
As for the Mini Fit Jr connectors, these are the same ones used in your PC, and i had their tools for extracting, but again if you're carefull in first place than don't need all this.

Heat and Load:

I had tried with the remaining voltages i had on the first proto and the final one on a load of 1.3A on each rails (so about 9-10 modules on full load), and after 8hrs of load, the thing was getting pretty hot, and heatsink pretty hot to touch also (about 55°C), but voltages were remaining ok...
The rectifers were hot ( about 75 to 80°C) and one reason why i wanted to change the KK connectors for connectors that would handle up to 105°C,
the secondary connector is right next to the rectifiers.
The heat path of the rectifiers is open and has no obstacles, caps or whatever, this helps the vertical dissipation of their heat, and the life of the Caps
that are next to them.....

So for the power rails, i decided to limit at 1.25 A, using UMZ 250 slow blow SMT fuses, that are mounted under the board with a window giving acces to them.

On real world situation and using this one as a Lunchbox PSU for 8 random modules, the heat is WAY less of course, but the PSU gives some headroom,
and i'm sure will handle 11 random modules as well....

Noise:

Well that's where i didn't succeed  in a way :-\, well will maybe try some things to attenuate the best way, but i guess that may be a tough one, and one problem i was anyway going to face....
It's absolutly not a loud hum at all, as i don't hear much, but i do see a nice Peak on the 50Hz Range, and its harmonics at 155 / 250 and 350hz at about -90db FS for the 50Hz Peak on the plug-in i quickly used to visualise it, that on the 8th Module, the one as close to the PSU, didn't do fancy measuring for now, finished the module in the week-end.....

I'm not a pro in that domain but i guess lots of parameters could lead to this, and some modules will likely be more sensitive to stray electromagnetic fields than others, and that anyway the disadvantage of having a PSU close to modules or whatever electronic device....
Maybe my circuit boards design for home etch double sided PCB, and with the fact that top copper is not connected to each Parts on GND as on Thru Hole PCB's could be a prob as well, for testing purpose i did connect the top copper used for saving etching bath to PSU GND point on each boards but that didn't change much.....
Also maybe shield the Secondary wires as they are pretty close to the IEC Plug?

Toroidal is an "Audio" spec'd one, words taken from the manufacturer:
"the transformer is wound on high inductive, selected and measured core. Core and all the windings are impregnated. Transformer also has electric and electromagnetic shields, epoxy filled interior etc..."
Concerning the Toroidal, I did choose a disposition of wires, that doesn't give me the opportunity to turn this one enough to check its best position, maybe a bad move as well, but i wanted a clean short path to the PCB's.

I'm thinking of maybe trying to use some Mu Metal, fitting one layer around the Toroidal, this one has already been made with a Grain oriented sheet around it, but i have read that adding different materials of different permeability works good? Will see....
Or one plane sheet on the Transformer Bracket, but that would mean, drilling holes and cutting in the sheet in different ways, wich is not very nice for keeping the Mumetal properties as its best....
Or both, but that would take the price up......

I don't have an API Lunchbox PSU and dont know how it behaves  in terms of Noise, but is there any stray electromagnetic fields problem with the module close to it?

All in all it was more a time killer project than an expensive one, all is hand made so....
Money was spend on electronic components and Transformers, these were the only expensive parts.....

Anyway let's cut the BS, here are some pictures of the process, and components used etc.. etc...

Milling the heatsink at my friends workshop:

20120430161038.jpg

Panasonic FK SMD Caps, gently bended pins for Thru hole ;), maybe not a good idea, but the legs are flexible and it's possible to
thin the legs for reinforcing the bent area, works like a charm, and it was the only ones getting in that tight space + they seem to be better than FC ones.

20120727153128.jpg

UMZ 250 SMD Schurter Fuses, Slow Blow fitted under the brd

20120804132635.jpg

Mini Fit 3.0 connectors

20120727151054.jpg

20120727151108.jpg

The Angled Connectors have PCB locking, wich makes them stay still on board, KK angled ones seem too loose compared to them,
the only minus point is that it can be hard to pull the connector out, but that's better as a Lunchbox is made for taken out of the Studio and
may be confronted to tough situations...

20120727151206.jpg

Crimp connector fitting position

20120806142450.jpg

20120806141401.jpg

I crimp with some small needle plier, add a little solder, done, time killer but anyway....

20120806141516.jpg

The Vreg mounting and their wriring using 3 way Micro Fit 3.0 Connectors, wires are soldered on a PCB, to avoid having them
soldered directly on pins, as this is not a good idea when assembling and dismantling things, it will easily stress the Vreg pins and
break over time, but you still need to bend the lead fairly close to its case, but once....

20120727151131.jpg

20120806144309.jpg

Vreg PCB Asesembly, with PCB for the Front Led's using ribbon cable

20120806164445.jpg

Big Caps PCB assembly

20120806163354.jpg

Rectifier PCB

20120806170021.jpg

Toroidal Transformer

20120808144105.jpg

Mains and Toroidal Assembly + PCB

20120809130417.jpg

Load test, thanks to my buddy that gives me all the heatsinks his company is having fun throwing away, the Big resistors Heatsink is one of them as well as the PSU one.

20120808193142.jpg

LED before the Fuses for quick visual check, as the Ceramic fuses won't give any visual without a DMM.

20120808193208.jpg

Testing on some random modules (and some without knob ones haha), mainly for load, but also Audio

201208091735322.jpg

VOILA, now lets see what can be done for the Stray Electromagnetic fields, hmmmmmm

Allright as i'm stuborn, i actually did a revision of it, and took some time to get to an end, it's been used for a week and is doing just fine.
For the Noise issue, it's mainly on Inductor Based EQ's that the magnetic field was catching in the Audio.
Added a sheet of Permalloy under the Power transformer, and hand made an enclosure, and it got it down of about 20dB.
Can't hear none in normal use.
Those EQ's if used in Lunchbox should have an enclosure and a permalloy sheet for helping out.
The magnetic goes away of course as the EQ is pulled away from the source, say slot 6.

Now the rectifiers have DIY Heatskink, based on bars of aluminium, that was a final upgrade, just
to help the rectifiers a little.
And even if some say it could be a risk, it can power a lot more than 8 random modules, so cool.

A big Thanks to Harpo that gave me some food for tought, and suggested me to add, fault leds and the protection that you see on the schematic, so tracking and a Crowbar, these two circuits are pretty basic, but work very well, the crowbar is a rude but efficient protection.

Anyway some pics and a part of the Schematic, as it's based on the same for +/-16V with values different.
Schemo: http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/1315/24vprotectedsupply.jpg

icheatsink.jpg

vregpcb.jpg

rectifierpcb.jpg

20121208172002.jpg

backviewu.jpg

sideviewt.jpg

frontfaultled.jpg

psuencloser1.jpg

psuenclosure2.jpg

Really great looking build. 

Re: Noise, I think I read that the toroids have the greatest flux "along the axis",  which is "aiming" through the 500 modules.  Often toroids are mounted perpendicular to the rack case (and I have had some trouble with closely mounted rack preamps/converters being effected).

You could try some mu metal shielding.  If you use sheet mu-metal there is a "engineers kit" available from various companies, PM me I could find it if you need it) at "reasonable" cost.

Distance is natures mu-metal  ;)  I think the flux decreases as the cube of the distance, so it surprises me that you need to move the sensitive cards 6 slots!  This makes me suspect that the steel case is "channelling" the flux (steel is permeable just not so much as mu-metal), so a "U" shape sheet of mu metal blocking that channel might work well.

Maybe a shield along the top, down the right side and  and along the bottom of the slots that are effected.  There are different permeabilities for shielding source of flux and equipment to be protected.

Not an expert on this but I have had some success with using mu metal shielding.  The thin sheet is often better at "protecting" from a low flux level rather than "containing and redirecting" a high flux level but both approaches are possible.

Attachments

• flux.jpg
    flux.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 20
Thanks guys.

@BruceO

Yes i've used a sheet of Permalloy and it did took the noise down, but as i said on the little explanation, the most is picked up by "inductors" on the EQ's i have, but of course mounting it differently would be better. The best would be that the EQ module itself is protected against that as i said, a enclosure and one square of permalloy would make a big difference for those using API lunchbox for example.
I didn't said to 6 slot away!, but meant 2 for giving an example of the distance,8 slots on a lunchbox rack, and could power another 11 on top ;).
The noise figures weren't crazy, it was just bothering me a little, but i wasn't suprised when i saw them, i mean like you said it's pretty much the nature of the thing, but anyway took fairly down, and i'm happy as is, since it will be used "at my risks" to power an 11 slot on top, i'm not going to bother much, i'll fit 2 modules that will be better at handling Magnetic fields, and the rest will be as is.

Whats the purpose of this module, apart for powering a 500 51x rack??

Show off, and make myself some PITA work (challenge), what else?  ;)

Latest posts

Back