5534 Pinout

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ

GDIY Supporter
Hi, does anyone know the pinout on this oldschool opamp?
All my old data books are now landfill, and I want to use this guy in a micpre.
No help on the web, the modern sheets do not have this can style.
Thanks!
cj :guinness:
opamp_1.jpg

Viewed from the bottom, the pins should be numbered clockwise, with Pin 8 being at the tab. There's a pretty good chance that the function of each pin will correspond to the DIP-8 equivalent, but I can't guarantee it :cool:

Essentially all single 8-pin op-amp chips have the same pinout, whether can or DIP:
8-pin.gif

They "had" to be the same: the big money was in getting your chip into a board designed for some other chip. So pinouts were all the same. Same as a 709 in fact.

Some of the oddball pins (Bal, Comp) won't have the same names on different part-types, but will be the same pin-number on can or DIP of the same part-type.

In fact they sold cans with the 8 legs pre-bent to drop into a DIP-8 socket. If yours are that way, aim the tab as near as possible to the DIP-notch and drop it in. If not pre-formed, the tab should be over DIP pin 8.

Note that Dave talks of bottom-side, and my picture is topside, so clockwise goes the other way.

Actually, PRR, I have a book that shows this basic pinout for a 709 but it says that pins 8 and 5 are 'Input Freq Compensation'. Pin 5 is marked 'Output Freq Comp'.

But yeah, to corroborate PRR's story, according to the book(s) I have, Pin 8 is the tab and going clockwise from the top view counts down. Apparently Pin 4 is connected to the can...be warned!

I just knew that my 1989 National Semi Data book wasn't trash...:green:

HTH, CJ!

Peace!
Charlie

> this basic pinout for a 709 but it says that pins 8 and 5 are 'Input Freq Compensation'. Pin 5 is marked 'Output Freq Comp'.

Yes, the non-standard pins can be anything. 709 had a very complicated compensation and used all of them. Other amps have different compensation and balance; but the pin-numbers for these pins will be the same can or DIP.

Pins 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7 will be the same function on any general purpose single opamp. Any other pinout confuses buyers, spoils sales, and complicates testing.

This is nearly true of Duals, though I think there are some oddballs.

There are at least 3 pinouts for Quads. Most are like TL074, but one early popular one is different, and some low-power quads use a pinout like a quad comparator.

> Pin 4 is connected to the can...be warned!

Nearly all metal-can packages solder the chip to the can. On transistors, this is usually the Collector junction. On ICs, it is almost always "V-", the substrate (the bulk of the die) which is conventionally negative of all nodes to keep parasitic junctions "off". Soldering the die to the can improves heat dissipation; also avoids the problem of finding a good electrical insulator with good mechanical and thermal properties (epoxy was not well proven when cans ruled the world). But don't let the case short to anything.

You will get 0.1dB lower noise in your 5534 if you can find a TO-5 heatsink to put over it and keep it several degrees cooler.

[quote author="clintrubber"]About the supply voltages: opamp doesn't care or can know about the supply being bipolar or not. So no difference here.

Bye,

Peter[/quote]

Thanks

I have always seen TDA1034A = NE5534. Perhaps TDA1034 is an older version?

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Back